Building a custom rig.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Vailelr, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Vailelr

Vailelr Private E-2

i have this custom case that was recently given to me. its a Diablo ATX Mid-Tower Case. i was wondering if the motherboard from my dell dimention 8200 would fit in it? it has a elite group motherboard in it currently but i dont have the ram for that motherboard currently. so im just wanting to move the one out of my dell over...would that work? i dont wanna get it out and then learn that it wont fit or something..thanks.

2. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Is the picture I have linked to what your Dell looks like inside?

http://greensburgpcmobile.com/itemsforsale/dimension8200.aspx

If so, then it is a custom size and position motherboard and so can only be used in the model of PC it has been designed for.

Dell do this quite a lot with their business range.

3. Vailelr

Vailelr Private E-2

Yeah thats what it looks like inside. im wanting to try to put that motherboard in or my dell optiplex gx280 in it...do you think its possible to fit either of these in it?

4. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Unfortunately, as I have said, Dell sometimes make motherboards in strange sizes for their desktops so I do not believe that this is possible. Sorry.

5. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Yeah, I have to agree with collinsl, those 'hinged' older Dell systems have boards that usually do not have a standard mounting screw pattern. However, if you can take a good detailed look at it, then compare it to a standard ATX motherboard, you might find the holes for the mounting screws in the Dell line up as they should. I seriously doubt you can put a non-Dell gx280 MB in the Dell case primarily because the rear I/O shield (the section where the mouse and keyboard plugs are) is built into the case; it's one BIG piece of metal and unless you happen to find a non-Dell gx280 motherboard with the exact same configuration on the rear connectors, you won't be able to put one in. I know this is probably not an option, but I suggest that you completely abandon the Dell unit entirely; you can keep the hard drive, CD drives, memory CPU, etc; but dump the case and mobo and try to step into some modern gear. I'm not sure what CPU is in there, but new standard ATX/mATX motherboards can be had for under $50 at Newegg....

6. Vailelr

Vailelr Private E-2

okay, the custom diablo has a mobo in it. a elite group one. just need to get some ram for it. guess i can check the web for those. is elitegroup mobo's good? i stripped the dual dvd burners, and hard drives out of the dell and put them in the custom diablo case. any good recommendations on videocards? i have a older ati all in wonder i can put in it..but i know thats out of date. think its only a 32mb card..

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds