Building a new gaming rig, processor question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by NeRvE, Jan 24, 2007.

1. NeRvE

NeRvE Private E-2

Ok, you've probably seen the debate on processors a million times, luckily this isn't one of those "intel vs amd" cause I chose amd a long time ago and I'm sticking with it for gaming. Anyway, "My Question" is this, I am looking at 2 processors, the amd 64 fx-62 windsor 2.8Ghz and the amd 64 x2 5200+ windsor 2.6Ghz, in the specifications on newegg.com they look exactly the same except for one is 200Mhz faster and there voltage is different... other than that does anyone know if they will run any different? I'm planing on going dual video cards, ect. other than the 200Mhz the only thing I could see is that was different was about 300 dollars or so in price...so if the 200Mhz is the only performance difference (cause i dont know if the voltage makes any difference) then i'll get the cheaper one.

heres a link to them:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductCompare.asp?Category=34&Brand=1028&N=2010340343+50001028+1051720996+1050921012+1051316913&Submit=ENE&Nty=1&SubCategory=343&CompareItemList=N82E16819103861%2CN82E16819103759

please before u got off on an overclocking / "or this processor instead" post / discussion... not to be mean, but thats not what im looking for, all i need is to know if there are any serious differences between these 2 processors. Thank you in advance

2. NeRvE

NeRvE Private E-2

bump... waiting for a reply lol

3. catbro6166

catbro6166 Corporal

Yes there is a differance

The price thats it both OC well core temps dont differ much but the AM2 sockets are not in the lopp yet so I stick with the 940 or 939 but to answer the question no go with the x2 its got good benchmarks and gaming is good and its cheap when compared to intel but you dont care die hard AMD :dood

4. NeRvE

NeRvE Private E-2

thanks, was trying to figure out if other than the 200mhz and the voltage if there were any performance differences.

5. NeRvE

NeRvE Private E-2

also not sure what you mean by "am2 sockets are not in the lopp yet" ?

6. catbro6166

catbro6166 Corporal

Sorry cant type

Its widely said the AM2 sockets that the X2 sockets and 64-FX run under are in some ways buggy that the socket 939 are better still or 940 in some cases but thats like I said just what they say and who are they again. But you asked about processors and the differance none that is except for ofcourse OC heating issues but thats easy fix.

7. NeRvE

NeRvE Private E-2

ok cool, i just read that 939 is still ddr and am2 is ddr2 and ddr2 is faster, or so i have read. lol

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds