Building A New Pc Rig

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by HeadBang League, Jul 19, 2017.

1. HeadBang League

HeadBang League Private E-2

I definitely need a new set for my corner as my laptop just can't stand the heat, literally.

I'm not familiar with today's price so bother asking: what your set would be like if you have about $600-700?

I ask my friend that, and he's like "bla bla bla ... GTX 1060", yeah sure GTX1060 sounds nice as I previously owned a GTX760, and it was pretty solid.
    But I only had a GTX1060, what else? This would be my first time to build a whole set by myself so please give me an aid. Thanks ;)

Also, I'm digging a processor and know about chip Xeon, is this friendly with you guys? According here http://www.velocitymicro.com/blog/xeon-vs-i7i5-whats-difference/ , I should get a Xeon? Since I definitely have a video card separately.

2. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

You gave your budget and that is good but you failed to state the primary purpose for this new computer.

And by "whole set", what does that mean. Do you need a monitor, keyboard, mouse and speakers with that $700 budget too?

Xeons are nice but they cost more. And they are better suited for "workstation" tasks. The i7 and i5 is better suited for most gaming, and home/office tasks. Going i5 or i7 does not mean you cannot use your own graphics card. What many people do when they have a limited budgets like yours is to go with an integrated graphics solution initially, then after they rebuild the budget, they add a graphics card.

Do NOT try to cut corners in the budget with a cheap power supply. A quality supply will ensure good, clean, stable power is being supplied to the rest of your components.

I recommend you check out PCPartPicker to research your components. It has some really nice features to ensure you only select compatible components, and it even makes suggestions for the size PSU you need. And a good case is necessary to ensure proper cooling. I recommend one with several large (140mm) fan support and removable, washable air filters.

Last, don't forget a new computer requires a new Windows license. I recommend 8GB of RAM minimum and for that, you will need a 64-bit OS. I recommend Windows 10.

3. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

HeadBang League likes this.
  4. HeadBang League

Thanks, oh sorry, for sure the rig is for gaming. Don't worry about the monitor, keyboard and mouse cuz I'm still happy with the old setup.

Xeon chips are for workstation :-? is this true? A friend of mine built his rig with Xeon and it's fascinating so far.

I'm considering the $700 set in best gaming pc build. 520W 80+ Bronze power supply seems good to me. 8GB of RAM, plugged in with GTX1060 ... I can't wait for the rig to arrive.
    I might just have to purchase another 128GB SSD to install the windows on, the rest of them are okay by me.

5. Digerati

Workstations and servers is their primary intended purpose. That does not mean they cannot be used for gaming. Pickup trucks are built for work. That does not mean you cannot comfortably haul the family around - quickly. And BMW 7 series are built to haul people around quickly and in style. But you can still throw a couple bags of potting soil in the back.

Not sure what you mean by "another" 128GB SSD. I recommend 240 - 256GB as your primary drive. That will easily hold your OS and all hardware drivers. And except for some monster games, it will easily hold all your applications too (like security, MS Office, email, etc. ) and personal data files too.

6. HeadBang League

Jezz ... so 128GB SSD for running windows and drivers is not enough? I guess I have to go for 256GB :-?

7. Digerati

Technically, Windows and all your drivers will easily fit on a 128GB drive. But Windows performs much better when it is has lots of free disk space (regardless if SSD or HD) to operate in. Lots of free disk space allows for the "dynamic" page file to expand and contract as needed. And remember, EVERY time Windows opens a file for editing or modification, a temporary copy is made until the system verifies the updated version saved properly. And of course, Windows and other programs create and use lots of temporary files.

And while it it great to have Windows and drivers on a SSD, the program files for all your other applications benefit too by being on a SSD. Note that hard drives are based on 60 year old :eek: electromechanical technologies! Personally, unless the budget just won't allow it, I see no reason to use hard drives any more - except, maybe, as "backup" locations for mass storage of "static" (never changing) files such as photos, songs and videos, and image backup files of my SSDs. Hard drives are slow, physically big, noisy, slow, heavy, consume more energy, generate more heat, and they slow. Did I mention they are slow?

Even the slowest SSD will run circles around the fastest hard drive.

Yes, SSDs still cost more, but spread that cost over the expected life expectancy of the computer and the cost difference is marginalized. And note the better SSDs have a 10 year warranty. Compare that to the measly 2-year warranty of that Seagate HD.

My advice if the budget will not allow it is wait until you can save up enough money to increase the budget, then go all SSD. They are worth it!

8. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

Your suggested motherboard has an M2 slot for a PCIe x4 SSD. It's a bit more expensive per GB, but not prohibitively so. I use this: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147593
    A comparison between it and several popular brands of SATA3 SSDs : Click here

A comparison video between SATA3 HDD, SATA3 SSD and a PCIe x4 SSD:

It's something to consider.

9. Digerati

While that 960 sure is nice and worth budgeting for (and full disclosure, I prefer Samsung SSDs), there are cheaper alternatives in that size range as seen here.

10. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

Good point.

11. HeadBang League

Okay, noted! A 256GB SSD is recommended.

I just ordered the $700 gaming PC set 2 days ago and finding the right SSD both online and local stores. Can't wait to crush it with my friends lol

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds