Building a pc, AMD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by manardshizz, May 19, 2009.

1. manardshizz

manardshizz Private E-2

I'm just looking for some opinions from everyone. I'm looking to build a pc for myself. I'd like to make it with an AMD chip probably a triple core. I've never tried overclocking anything and would like to try with this one, so something that overclocks well is a must. I think it would be nice but not a must to have a board that supports AM3 and DDR3 for future considerations. What do you all think would be a good CPU/MOBO combo? I'd also like to keep the cost of this down too!

Thanks for the help guys/gals!!!

2. 2-Bit-Geek

2-Bit-Geek Sergeant

An AMD build I can help with, I have had several (unfortunately).

Firstly I would avoid both of these, X3 cores & Phenom's. If you want it to be good it needs to be a Phenom II or a high end dual core (6000+ or 6400+).

Secondly AM3/DDR3 motherboards aren't backwards compatible with AM2 or AM2+ as far as I know, but they definitely won't support DDR2 RAM so it's you're choice really AM2/+ or AM3.

Lastly You need to give us a budget & what you will be using it for, gaming?

:major2-Bit-Geek:major

3. Drizzles

Drizzles First Sergeant

Just a question ... why AMD? I run a computer shop and in my entire experience, if EVER there is a CPU issue 95% of them are AMD's ... I've only ever come across two bung Intel CPUs and in excess of 30 AMD's ...

If your after a new system and want to build it yourself ... I'm in the last stages of putting a brand new one for myself together ... the only thing I'm waiting for is the Graphics Card ... HERE is the thread if you wanna check it out ... I paid UNDER $2000 AUD for it ...

4. 2-Bit-Geek

2-Bit-Geek Sergeant

Probably because full AMD systems tend to be much cheaper, by that I mean AMD CPU, DDR2 RAM, AM2/+ mobo & ATI GPU.

I have personally never had any problems with any of my AMD setups, well CPU wise anyway LOL. The only problem I have had is with my current CPU, an AMD Phenom X4 9750 2.4GHz which doesn't seem to be any better than the Athlon 6000+ 3.0GHz I used to have. If it happens again when I can afford an AM3 AMD setup with one of the new Phenom II's that should be out by then I will sell my soul to Intel :-D

:major2-Bit-Geek:major

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds