Building a PC - no video card help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ls1powered, Dec 12, 2005.

1. ls1powered

ls1powered Private E-2

I'm just finishing up the build of a PC I'm putting together.

The motherboard does not have on-board video and I didn't buy video card.
    Everything is new. No OS installed yet.

Am I dead in the water unless I go out and buy a video card?

I do have a RADEON X300 installed in the PC I'm using right now. If I had to I can take it out of this PC and install it temporary in the new PC to configure it. Would it work without any drivers installed?

As you can see this is my first build :)

Thanks.

2. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

As far as i know you will need sum sort of display device because without one you cant hook up ur monitor. You will probably be able to boot without drivers but in order to do anything you will need drivers. I think thats right but if im wrong anyone plz correct me.

3. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

Yes you obviously are in dead water :rolleyes:. You CAN install the other card, performance will be mismal with no drivers, and if you do install drivers you can always have chance of it not working properly / errors when you install the new card. Of course that can be avoided if done properly.

4. ls1powered

ls1powered Private E-2

Thanks - I think I know what I have to do... I'm going to take it out of this PC and setup my new one.

I didn't buy a video card because it is going to run linux and I will not have a monitor attached. I totally forgot about the need of a monitor to load the os and view the bios menu.

5. ls1powered

ls1powered Private E-2

Just pulled the card out of this pc and put in the new one. Worked fine. Put it back, tomorrow I'll get a card and just leave it in the new pc and load redhat.

Thanks again.

6. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

No prob, good luck, running a server? How would've you'd maintain the pc / run it / boot it with out a video card or monitor.
    :confused:

7. ls1powered

ls1powered Private E-2

Just finished. Installed Redhat 9 and using Mozilla now. :)

I plan on putting this in a walk in closet which I turned into a little computer room. No monitor needed since I will be accessing it via SSH and exceed from my WinXP desktop. Although I do like the KDE...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds