building computer/ black screen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by longbowrocks, Aug 10, 2007.

1. longbowrocks

longbowrocks Private E-2

Well, I've built my computer and it sounds great when it starts up, but there is no display, not even BIOS on the monitor. lemme lay it out for you:
    • the fan and the heat sink look and sound like they're working.
    • I've tried my video card (a GeForce 7600 GS), and a friend's (Geforce 6800). I plugged in the power extension on the 6800. neither of the video cards worked, and I can't try using them in tandem either.
    • I believe the most important thing may be the monitor. the light under the screen turns green when I first turn it on, then turns orange. I don't know about everyone else, but for my monitor this means one or more of three things:
    1. the attached computer is turned off
    2. there is no computer connected to the monitor
    3. the computer is on sleep
    I read my video card manual, and it said that I MIGHT need to update the drivers that are specifically for the monitor. How do I do this without being able to turn on the computer, or even being able to memorize the keystrokes and do it blindly: the reason being that it doesn't sense my keyboard.
    If anyone could make use of more information than this, let me know and I'll list the other components I have in there.

2. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

I don't think your vid card drivers are at fault, they haven't been invoked at the intial stage.

Your card may be faulty did you try it in another pc?

Your assembly may be faulty recheck very carefully, especially memory and secondary power connectors.

Normally when a monitor is first switched on the power light comes on and then changes colour when it receives the sync signal from the pc.

What do the lights on the keyboard do?

3. longbowrocks

longbowrocks Private E-2

well, the card I got from my friend has already been used in his computer, and worked fine there, so we used that to check my computer. when we put his card in my PCIEX16 slot, we got the same result (both my card and his card use the PCIEX16 slot, which my computer has only one of.
    the motherboard doesn't have a built in video card, so we need to use a PCI one.
    the keyboard doesn't light up at all, the computer has just been put together and I haven't run anything on it, including BIOS.
    My monitor light would stay green if it knew it was connected to the comp and the comp was on, or turning on. the only conditions I know of that cause the light to turn orange are the ones outlined in my first post, or if the monitor "thinks" those conditions have been met.
    As for checking assembly, I've already speed read the video card manual from cover to cover, it's now time to (ominous drumbeat) go over the motherboard manual meticulously, and then maybe the case manual.
    One last thing: the motherboard has an atx12V power supply available, would it hurt to try plugging that in, even though I don't think it's necessary?

4. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

If the video card has a connector for power, then it MUST be connected to the power supply in order to work properly. In addition, any video card that has its own power connection usually requires a power supply of at least 350w (and even that's a bit low IMO; 450w or better is HIGHLY recommended); this is usually stated in the factory specs for video cards. If you have tried 2 PCIX video cards (one is known to be OK in another PC), then the problem is either the power supply, or the motherboard; drivers are NOT the issue. You really should try your video card in a different PC as suggested above, that way you'd know for sure where the problem lies.....

hd2k

5. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Longbowrocks, if you mean your mobo has an additional power connection, and you do not have it plugged in, plug it in! A lot of the newer boards have several power plugs, and leaving one unplugged can cause it not to boot.

E

6. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

Like Fred said, EVERY power connector on the motherboard should be connected to the power supply. They are there for a reason. Because you "don't think it's necessary" doesn't mean it isn't necessary. If it wasn't needed, it wouldn't be there. Luckily, you can't really do any damage to any components by not connecting all the power conections :D

hd2k

7. longbowrocks

longbowrocks Private E-2

OH MY GOD GUYS, I think I'm gonna bust a gut. I'm really laughing so hard I think I'm insane. listen to this: I read your comments and took a close look at the power supply section of my motherboard's manual. three seconds of skimming later, I come across this bulleted warning: "DO NOT FORGET TO CONNECT THE 4-PIN ATX + 12V POWER PLUG; OTHERWISE, THE SYSTEM WILL NOT BOOT UP."
    for the record, I'm going to blame this all on my friend because he took the project out of my hands and said that power supply was unneeded.
    :D

8. longbowrocks

longbowrocks Private E-2

One Last Thing: Thank You All!

9. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Glad it all turned out right in the end.
    Thanks for the feedback.

:major;):major

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds