Building First Computer From Scratch, Many Questions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by penguin010, Jul 12, 2005.

1. penguin010

penguin010 Private E-2

Alrite guys Ive decided I want my very own computer. I have nothing, so I must start from scratch. Here is what Im planning on getting:

NZXT Nemesis Gaming Case
    ASUS A8N E NVIDIA Motherboard
    AMD Athlon 64 3400+ 754Pin Processor
    Hitachi 160GB 7200RPM Hard Drive
    Twin Set of Kingston PC3200 512MB DDR Memory
    Sony 52x32x52 CD-ROM/DVD-ROM
    Creative Labs SB Audigy 2 ZS Sound Card
    XFX GeForce 6600GT 126MB Video Card
    Dell 19in Flat Screen CRT Monitor

Plus the mouse, keyboard, and gamepad. Is there anything that I have left out or theres something better? As for speakers, can I just hook up my surround sound speakers to it without having to switch them out everytime I want to watch a movie or play an Xbox game? Also, for the power source, the case doesnt come with one, what should I get? Thanks.

2. A.Son

A.Son Sergeant

I suggest :
    939 instead od 754
    LG compose instead of Sony
    PSU looking at some Thread at MG
    Speakers Altech lansing
    others member will help you more :D

3. penguin010

penguin010 Private E-2

Alrite then will this
    and that
    work? Also, your saying that I couldnt use my surround sound as speakers? Thanks.

4. A.Son

A.Son Sergeant

Yeah, that 's right, If You can OC just alittle more you will not lose money for 3500+ instead of 3000+ ( Ok, do not pay attetion if You do not know ) :D

5. penguin010

penguin010 Private E-2

Ya, I have no idea what you just said. :confused:So what power supply should I use, and about the speakers...

6. penguin010

penguin010 Private E-2

Alrite, I just read some reviews that said that the Nemesis Cases wasnt the best you could get in that price range, so I am now looking at the Thermaltake Tsunami and the Aspire X Navigator. The Thermaltake is $96 and doesnt come with a psu, and the Aspire is $90 and comes with a 450 watt psu[which will eventually be replaced but will work for the moment.] So would the extra cost of a psu for the Thermaltake be worth it, or just go with the Aspire. As for the speakers, Ill probably buy a set because I imagine it will be a hassle to hook the surround sound to it. I was looking at the Klipsch ProMedia GMX A-2.1 for around $130. Ive also heard and experienced[the family computer has them]good things about the Altec Lansing speakers, but dont know much they cost.

7. HollisBrown

HollisBrown Private E-2

If you have your surround sound speakers hooked up to a reciever then all you have to do is buy a cable that has a 1/8 inch jack on one side and two aux outputs on the other. You plug the 1/8 inch jack into your computers line out or headphone out and the other side into the reciever. As far as not having to switch them out, that depends on how many aux inputs your reciever has. Most have two or three, so you could hook your TV up to the surround sound system and that should take care of the Xbox and DVD's, and still have one or two more inputs for your computer.

If this doesn't make sense tell me and I'll try to explain better.

8. penguin010

penguin010 Private E-2

No man that was crystal clear. My receiver has several aux inputs, so this will work fine.

9. penguin010

penguin010 Private E-2

Also, is there anything special I need to do to run two memory cards at the same time, or can I just order two of those memory cards and put them in my computer?

10. A.Son

A.Son Sergeant

I meant that If you OC 3000+@>3500+ so you do not lose more money for 3500+ :D

11. A.Son

A.Son Sergeant

A pair of DDram support for Dual Channel is the best :D

12. penguin010

penguin010 Private E-2

Sorry for the beginner questions, but what does OC mean? Also, would the two memory cards I have listed work?

13. Olley

Olley Sergeant

14. penguin010

penguin010 Private E-2

I think Ill just stick with the 3500+ because Im a complete newb at all this stuff and would definitly screw something up. For the memory, the ASUS A8N motherboard which Im getting says it has Dual Channel Memory Architecture, so that means it supports two memory cards I guess. Can I just buy two the Kingston memory or would I have to buy a pack? Also, is there better memory cards out there for that price? This set looks nive for only a little more than it would cost to buy two of the Kingston memorys corsair twinx memory . Also, what about the cases question that I asked furhter down? Thanks for the help everyone.

15. penguin010

penguin010 Private E-2

So that Corsair set I have listed would work good? Also, for the case, would the Thermaltake Tsunami for $96 with no psu be better than the Aspire X Navigator for $90 with a psu? And for the monitor, would a Dell, Viewsonic, or Samsung 19in CRT be better?

16. penguin010

penguin010 Private E-2

I plan on eventually replacing[if I got one] the generic PSU, but I think it would work for a while till I get get sme more money. I am on a budget. But if the Tsunami is a lot better, Ill go with that. What about the monitor?

17. penguin010

penguin010 Private E-2

Well Ive read that CRTs were supposed to be pretty good monitors, and I game a lot, so... Id like to have a nice monitor, so Im not really on too much of a budget on that. I dont really want an LCD either. Whichever is the best CRT monitor, let me know.

18. penguin010

penguin010 Private E-2

Lol I have no opinions since Im fairly new to this computer shazz, so since Ive heard a lot of good things about Viewsonic and I can get them fairly cheap I guess, I think Ill go with one of those.

19. penguin010

penguin010 Private E-2

So now I think I have my PC planned out! Yay!

Complete Set Up:

Thermaltake Tsunami Black Case with Antec TruePowerII 380 watt PSU
    AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 939PIN
    ASUS A8V Deluxe Mobo
    Corsair TwinX 1G[2x512MB] Memory
    LG CD-ROM/DVD-ROM
    Hitachi 160GB 7200rpm Hard Drive
    Onboard Soundcard with Onkyo 6.1 Surround Sound
    Viewsonic 19in CRT
    NVIDIA GeForce 6600GT 128MB Video Card
    Logitech Gamepad
    Saitek Eclipse Gaming Keyboard
    Logitech MX150 Mouse

I think that covers it. Hows that sound?

Now is there any store I can order all of this from for fairly good prices that has free shipping? Newegg is nice except no free shipping, and Cyberpower has free shipping for some things, but not that great of prices. Or would I be better off just ordering from Newegg?

20. penguin010

penguin010 Private E-2

Wow the orice came out to be way lower than was expected, only around $1200 shipped. Since Ill have some extra cash, should I upgrade anything? I dont want to go over $1300, so its gotta be fairly cheap. I was thinking of getting the Asus A8N SLi Deluxe so I could run dual video cards in the future. Is that right, and is there something else i should change?

21. penguin010

penguin010 Private E-2

For the hard drive, what kind should I get? Kind as in ATA100,ATA2, and ATA150.

22. A.Son

A.Son Sergeant

Sata150 is better, what's about of speaker ? :D

23. Toke

Toke MajorGeek

Good choice of case but... you really need a more powerful PU (power unit) go for a 450 or 500 watt...good luck :)

24. penguin010

penguin010 Private E-2

Nevermind about the speakers mate, that question got answered. What do those types mean [sata150 and such]? 380 watt isnt enough?

25. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

it just the bandwidth of the port,the harddrive you want is a serial ata,sata 1 and 2 are all compatible,the most important thing is the speed as the harddrive measured in seek time ms the fastest being western digital raptors with 8ms and speed the drive spins at5k,7k or 10k revs per min :)

IMHO 380w is plenty if you buy a quality psu.

26. A.Son

A.Son Sergeant

so for futher more 450 or 500 PSU for your Specs and if you want upgrade to SLI.

27. penguin010

penguin010 Private E-2

SO would you suggest this Wester Digital[here] over the Hitachi? They are both the same type[ata 100] except the Hitachi says ultra 100. Same thing or not? Also, has anyone done business with frysoutpost.com?

28. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

29. penguin010

penguin010 Private E-2

Alrite thanks mate :) Has anyone ever dealt with frysoutpost.com? [this is a little off topic but oh well] Because Ive been looking into buying a home theater system, and I have decided on an Onkyo HT 770. On Circuit City.com, they are $380.[here for $380] I was shopping around and found an Onkyo 770S [same exact system except silver] for $205 on frysoutpost.com.[here for $205] That seems a little suspicious...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds