Building linux server

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ls1powered, Nov 26, 2005.

1. ls1powered

ls1powered Private E-2

I want to build a PC to run linux to be used for file/print, media server and web pages with basic cgi. It's for my home.

With the black friday deals from yesterday I already bought qty2 200GB ATA/133 drives and a 350W power supply. I need everything else!

The disk drives will be raid 1 and I will be installing a gigabit ethernet card.

Can you please recommend me:
    Intel or AMD (best for linux?)
    Motherboard
    CPU
    Case

If there are good reliable mother boards out there with on board Raid ATA and gigabit ethernet controllers, that work well with linux, then I would be open to that as well.

I'm looking for best bang for the buck - nothing too expensive.

Thanks for you input!

2. ls1powered

ls1powered Private E-2

bump - can anyone help me out?

3. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

I would PROBABLY go with an Intel board. Linux works just as well on either, though, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem. I would go for a PCI gigabit ethernet connection, since you've got a better chance with compatibility. Same with RAID controller - if you can afford one.

Here is a good resource for looking at compatibility:
    http://www.linuxquestions.org/hcl/index.php

Also, what distro are you thinking of putting on it?

4. ls1powered

ls1powered Private E-2

goldfish

I haven't decided what distro to go with. This is all brand new to me so I'm still researching. What would you recommend?

Thanks for that link - tons of info there.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds