Building--Middle of the Road Suggestions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Destructo, Apr 13, 2005.

1. Destructo

Destructo Corporal

Well my friend wants to upgrade his system. He has about $800 to spend on a mobo, cpu, ram, and vid card. Now I know what the best is out there and can pretty much figure out the worst. How about the middle.

He's not really an enthusiast but definately wants it to run Battlefield 2 smoothly (i know the specs arent out for it yet)

Definately amd64 1 gig of ram

Anyway all opinions welcomed :)

Destructo

fyi: his system right now has no vid card and can only run diablo lod. :rolleyes:

2. Coco

Coco Sergeant Major

For an $800 price range (assuming US) you could buy about a 3200+ AMD64 at the highest and then aim for a video card like a 9800. It's a generation behind but it will still run everything on the market quite smoothly. If you're a huge Nvidia fan you could go with a 5700, but to be honest nvidia really screwed up there 5XXX seires so I'd stay away from it personally (and I am an nvidia fan, normally at least. :))

You may be able to get a slightly better video card, but if you're planning to buy a monitor within that budget you'll most likely have to move the CPU down a bit to save some cash.

3. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

From what I'v seen of battlefield 2 non of us will be running it smoothly but I agree with coco a64 3200 939 nf4 pci express mobo 1gig mem 3200 decent power supply but the gfx card no lower than an nvidia 6600gt :D

4. Destructo

Destructo Corporal

Well i have discovered that 800 will go a long way if you already have all your basic stuff. picked out dfi lan part mobo w/pci sli (i guess there are 2 versions out but I honestly couldnt see the difference--any thoughts would help), xfx 6600gt vid card, mushkin lv2 performance ddr2 3200 (the black ones), and an amd64 3200.

My real concern now is: Will a 300 watt power supply do for now? Or do you think it will crap out?

thanks

5. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

It will crap out or even if it doesnt you may experience system instability dont skimp on the psu if that goes it could take everything else with it,just had a quck look on newegg dfi has 3 nf4 mobo's I could'nt see much between them,the second two sli so I'd get a review of the cheapest sli one and see if the next one up is worth the extra cash

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProdu...=22&manufactory=1307&DEPA=1&sortby=14&order=1

I like the the new X-connect PSU's

http://reviews.pimprig.com/power_supply/uv_x-connect_500w_psu.php

:D

Check the last page out when its all hooked up.

6. Destructo

Destructo Corporal

Well ordered stuff last night. Got the cheaper dfi w/sli bridge. rosewill 500 watt power supply. leadtech 6600 gt, and the mushkin ram.

Hope the rosewill is nice enough. I have always seen them on newegg but have never known anyone who has had one.

Anyway thanks for the suggestions

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds