Building Mobo/CPU

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Romulus, Feb 9, 2007.

1. Romulus

Romulus Private E-2

Well this may seem like a dumb question but w/e =)

I want to upgrade my system to a intel core 2. From your experience's (since upgrading this significantly, this will be my first time). What Mobo/Cpu would you recommend. I searched and read articles, but i want to know the pro's choices.

Not to mention i have an ATX Box, and an AGP nVidia card. Which i recently upgraded and want to keep. Oh btw does every mobo have a agp card? And i would like a minimum of 2gb ram.

Would like to do soon, tax returns are almost here.

2. Anon-15281db623

Anon-15281db623 Anonymized

The new standard nowadays is an PCI Express slot for graphics cards. Some motherboards sill come with AGP Slots for graphics cards but they don't carry most of the features of a newer board with PCIe.

Since you want to keep your current AGP graphics card, but still switch over to C2D, I suggest you look for a motherboard like this one. It has an AGP slot, and allows for the C2D processors, but you don't get to take advantage of DDR2 Ram, and are stuck with a maximum of 2G of DDR ram which could impact performance and not leave you many upgrade options for the future.

I just built a C2D system for a friend of mine with a E6600 processor, nVidia 600 chipset series motherboard, 2GB of DDR2 800, and an nVidia PCIe 7900GS video card for around $1000.

The C2D 6600 is a great price/performance processor and would be my recommendation. You can match that up with the motherboard I linked to above, 2GB of DDR 400 memory, and your current graphics card and you should set.

3. Storkraft

Storkraft Private First Class

mm....
    im currenly using a AsRock 775Dual-880 Pro.

and im going away from it only becource it isent SLI.
    and so dosent surport my Vid Card.

the 775Dual-880 Pro. have bouth. AGP and PCI-E if you want to opgrade later. to a new vidd card.

but only surports 2 GB of ram. slots.2x DDR or 2xDDR2
    so i think it is a great card if you have an older maschine. and want to opgrade slowly.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813157092&ATT=13-157-092&CMP=OTC-SortPrice

just an sergestion. but im no geek or pro.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds