Building my own PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by manfromchiron, Sep 12, 2009.

1. manfromchiron

manfromchiron Private E-2

I was directed here, so here I am

My pockets can be pretty deep, I'm nearly 50 and am a union millwright.

As stated;
    I want to build my own PC, this VIAO is old and I would like to learn how

I am a general user, some office, some design (drafting etc), keeping my life on track, and I'd like to be able to play WOW (or any other morpeg type game) without the interminable lag

I have only the barest concept of how to go about this, what kind of case?, what motherboard, dual or quad core, and why any of it?

one more thing, my pc sits at a south wall next to a BIG window. temps here can get high in the summer, which has caused problems with the old viao on occasion

any advice would be greatly appreciated

2. ~Q~

~Q~ Command Sergeant Major

Hi manfromchiron :)

Have you seen this thread..... http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=198123

The only real issue you have is making sure the parts you have are compatible, putting it all together is absurdly simple nowdays :)

*will put a post together later with a full rec' from me*
    :)

Q

edit: as for the sun/heat problem... more/bigger/better fans are gonna be the solution but bring a problem with more noise.

3. zsuiter

zsuiter Private E-2

hi I have built a few machines in my time and found that purchasing Scott Muelers " Upgrading and Repairing PCS" to be extremely helpfull. If anything this publication will teach you a %$#& of alot about hardware config along with some software config.
    hope this helps
    zsuiter

4. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

This will give you an idea, it's a middle of the road PC.

Middle-Range Computer
    Case ATX minitower model; dual fan
    CPU/motherboard Intel Core 2 Duo or AMD 64 Athlon X2; PCI and PCI-Express
    slots
    System RAM 1GB
    Hard drive One EIDE or SATA drive, 240GB minimum
    Optical drive 16x internal DVD recorder
    Modem 56 Kbps v.90 internal data/fax, cable/DSL modem for
    broadband
    Video card Standard 256MB PCI-Express 3-D video adapter with NVIDIA
    or ATI graphics chipset
    Sound card PCI audio card with Surround Sound
    Monitor 19-inch LCD
    Ports Four USB 2.0 ports, digital media card reader, and one
    FireWire port
    Input Standard keyboard; mouse

5. avair

avair Private E-2

Go onto utube and search how to build a computer there are plenty of tutorials on there

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds