Built Computer/No Display

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Helmedhorror, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Helmedhorror

Helmedhorror Private E-2

I just built a new computer ,also my first built, and the only thing that doesnt work is the display to my monitor.
    I've tried switching motherboards, graphic cards, monitors. Ive taken out everything out except the graphic card, psu, 1 stick of ram. Not even the keyboard or mouse were connected.
    I just cant get a display on my screen and everything else works. Fans, lights, power, cd drive, hard drive, even the graphic cards fan works it just doesnt display anything on the monitor at all.
    The graphics cards ive tried to switch it out with were the nvidia 8800gts and nvidia 6600. 8800 had its fan working as well but no display for both of them. 6600 also doesnt have a fan.

gpu GTX 470 (Fermi) 1280MB
    hdd Western Digital Black 1TB 7200 RPM
    ram CORSAIR XMS3 4GB
    psu CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W
    mobo ASUS P7P55D-E LX
    cpu i5 750
    cd drive not sure

2. abekl

abekl First Sergeant

Sounds like maybe the display itself is at fault. Does it work with another system?

3. Helmedhorror

Helmedhorror Private E-2

the 8800 card and the second monitor i use with it, well im currently using that right now with another computer to post in this forum :p
    also the 6600 was an old card for this computer as well
    so i know everything is in working order
    i just have no idea why they wont work with this newly built computer

4. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

5. Helmedhorror

Helmedhorror Private E-2

it doesnt beep at all i think
    theres a faint sound at the beginning when it starts up with ram and no ram

6. Helmedhorror

Helmedhorror Private E-2

not sure what happened to the edit post button
    but i used the memok! from a tip on one of those reviews and the display started working
    but now its either saying cpu temp too high or loading windows files and then it shuts itself off
    at least thats some progress?

7. abekl

abekl First Sergeant

The edit button only lasts for 10 minutes after you submit a post.

Glad the display is working now. For the temp problem, re-check that the heatsink/fan are securely attached to the cpu.

8. Helmedhorror

Helmedhorror Private E-2

very secured. still shutting itself off though

9. sach2

I'm hoping others will answer with more experience.

Rechecking the CPU installation and application of thermal paste is all I can suggest. [You don't want to go overboard on thermal paste so maybe it is better to wait for others input on troubleshooting the shutdowns.]

10. Helmedhorror

Helmedhorror Private E-2

i think i just fixed it actually!
    went into bios and disabled two cpu "enhancers" that supposedly made it run super fast

as soon as they were disabled, my cpu reached normal tempature and i was able to install windows
    thanks for the help though guys
    :wave

11. sach2

Good work! Glad you got things sorted. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds