built new pc - can't get onboard video or card to display on monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LukeECO, Aug 11, 2011.

1. LukeECO

LukeECO Private E-2

Here's the scoop. Went to microcenter got all these parts went home with a friend and built it.

Plugged in my monitor to my onboard gfx slot, monitor goes green for a second once the connection is made but goes to yellow when I try to power it on.

It's not the monitor. The computer boots up like it's going to the BIOS screen but I cannot get any picture. I'm pretty sure I made proper connections, I had a friend help me whose built computers before. The light on the motherboard goes on. I really don't want to trade it in because i've got the processor and everything good plugged in, but as far as I know I might have to suck it up and do it.

Anyone have any suggestions? Thank you

2. Tueur

Tueur Sergeant Major

Post a parts list.

Did you buy the entire system or upgrade an existing one?

Have you connected the PCIe Power cordand all MB power cables? double check in the manual what connections are there.

3. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

4. Tueur

Tueur Sergeant Major

He cant boot it BILLMC66 (I dont think, anyway).

5. frankzro

frankzro Corporal

I let my friend help me build my computer and by doing so it cost me a 400 dollar MOBO!!!!

Be careful, sometimes it is better to just take your time. If he was to shock or break something you wouldn't want to blame him would you? Just saying, building PCs is a Solo mans game lol.

Man, you just built it? It can be anything... Even the board can be bad, that will take some time to diagnose. Simply put, you may have to resemble the computer :banghead

6. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

My apologies for not fully reading the post.:-o

7. LukeECO

LukeECO Private E-2

Cooler Master 500W extreme power plus V3 ATX2.3

Looks like generic ram from microcenter, 4GB DDR3-1333 dual channel

Asus Motherboard M5A88-V EVO AM3+ ATX

amd phenom II X4 965 Black Edition

lite-on 24x sata DVD RW

Re-using my old harddrive and video card.

Thanks everyone for your inquiry. That stuff cost me roughly 400$ with a tower case the mobo being 140 and the processor 130. I'm trying to remain positive and chock this up for a learning experience. If you need more details let me know thanks again guys.

8. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

What is the video card??

9. LukeECO

LukeECO Private E-2

GT 240 from EVGA then I also have an older one. I think the onboard should work though :/

10. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

What i was thinking is that your onboard video is not firing up the screen so as your mobo has PCIe slots i would be tempted to try the GTX240 and see if it works, also you have more than enough power from the 500w to run it.

11. LukeECO

LukeECO Private E-2

Alright, i'll try that now and post later my results.

12. Tueur

Tueur Sergeant Major

To clarify, when you hit the power button, the leds and fans turn on and the system appears to be booting but there is no picture on the screen?

If this is the case it could be your GPU.
    1. As BILLMC66 says try taking out your GT240 and try the onboard card.
    2. Disconnect all your HDs and optical drives
    3. Check power connections.
    4. If this still doesn't solve the problems dismantle the system, remove the motherboard from the case, remove and re-seat the RAM and CPU. Place the motherboard on a non-conductive surface such as wood or cardboard. Remove the PSU from the case. Ensure that all you have connected to your MB is the CPU with heatsink, and RAM. Connect up your powersupply to your motherboard (ensure that the PCIe powerconnector on the MB is connected (I think it is the blue connector next to the large blue heatsink but it is hard to tell from the picture)). Connect your monitor to your onboard GPU. use a flathead screwdriver or paperclip to turn the system on by shorting the 2 pins on the front panel conector that connect to the power on switch and see if you get a picture. If you dont then RMA the motherboard.

I have seen these symptoms twice before and both times were the motherboard shorting out on the motherboard tray in the case. If the above steps resolve the issue the put the mb and PSU back in the case and try to boot again. Start re-adding your components one by one and try booting inbetween.

13. frankzro

frankzro Corporal

Hehe you told him to dismantle his system, then told him what to take out when he built it himself :p

Anyways all of the above solutions should help pick out the small stuff that may be in the way.. shoot you may even have to clear your BIOS before you can start the machine.

14. LukeECO

LukeECO Private E-2

Once again thanks for all the replies fellas. By listening and trying all that you have suggested, I think it's the mobo in some way. Today or tomorrow i'm going to MicroCenter and attempt to get another mobo, reinstall that and i'll let you guys know how I do !

15. scajjr

scajjr Sergeant

When you say "it boots up like it's going to the BIOS screen" does that mean you hear a beep? One thing to try is try the memory separately (I'm assuming you have two 2gb sticks) by booting with just one stick. If that doesn't work remove it and try the other one.
    If you only have 1 4Gb stick it could be bad OR not compatible with that motherboard (yes some boards can be very picky on ram it'll work with).

And as Tueur asked are all power cables connected? meaning does your video card require a power connection and if so is it connected?

Sam

16. Tueur

Tueur Sergeant Major

because you dont need to remove the optical drives or hard drives or case fans. Its called clarity :p

Which board? Motherboard, GPU board, memory board, the side board it sits on

"resemble"? is he a transformer? Robots in diguise! lol ;)

17. LukeECO

LukeECO Private E-2

UPDATE

Hello my chums. Much to my dismay replacing the MOBO did not work. I tried using my old RAM on the board, did not want to fit so i'm not going to force it.

My other colleagues suggest I need new RAM, I was using generic micro center RAM , thinking about my next step.

18. LukeECO

LukeECO Private E-2

Sorry to double post couldn't edit my original, The RAM MHz was 1333. Do I need a higher one maybe? :cry I've been trouble shooting for a week piece by piece.

19. frankzro

frankzro Corporal

And yes our PCs are transformers!! O_O At least every 6 months they have the ability to become transformers roflmao

20. frankzro

frankzro Corporal

Wait, did you just build your PC ?

If so, does it support 1333 RAM ? :)

By it I mean the motherboard

21. Tueur

Tueur Sergeant Major

The RAM you have is compatible with that board and may be the problem. Personally I still think it is the MB so if you have tried my steps below to carry out a barebone boot out side of the case I think you ought to RMA the motherboard and RAM if they will let you exchange both if not swap the MB first then the RAM.

Can you also please clarify that you get no picture on the monitor at all (not even during the boot process)

22. LukeECO

LukeECO Private E-2

SOLVED

So I took it in for repair and they tell me my mobo is bad. No duh with the help of you guys I figured that out, already replaced it. They said sometimes they can get a whole bad batch of hardware....so i'm going through 3+ mobos now. Atleast it's getting fixed, if someone has a similar problem you guys know a possible good solution !

23. Tueur

Tueur Sergeant Major

If its a new board cant you just swap it for a new one?

24. frankzro

frankzro Corporal

The world is corrupt , they seem to think that 30 days is enough time to return an electronic such as a motherboard or a CPU.. bah! I say 45 days!

I thought of something though... do the companies start the 30 days on the time you purchased the item or at the time it arrived at your house and its in your hands... cause if they are counting down from the time of purchase I am going to give them hell and demand they give me time back while the item was in shipping limbo! :)

25. Tueur

Tueur Sergeant Major

Dont know how it works int the US but in the UK once you have legally accepted the goods, which is defined as opening the box or a "reasonable" time for unopened stock (usually 21 days) then you are not entitled to a refund however under guarantee, if the product breaks withing the first year then the retailer is obliged to have the item repaired. In the case of a motherboard they arent going to repair it because it is more cost effective for them to just bin the dead board and issue a new one. therefore the retailer should just swap it for a new one? I dont see what they are fussing over?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds