Burn Or Copy Backup Files To Cd

Discussion in 'Software' started by Dumb_Question, Mar 5, 2017.

1. Dumb_Question

Dumb_Question Sergeant Major

I am using Double Driver to back up my driver files.
    I am using the default structured file format.
    I want to save the driver list for each back up onto CD as well.
    I want to make two back up files, one with the non-MS drivers (seems to be the default) and the other with all the driver files.

Should I burn these files to CD, or copy them ? Do I have to create a special type of file (such as an iso, other other) to burn them ? What are the advantages and disadvantages ?

(At the time of writing I have created the non-MS driver back up on my HDD but I am being held up by 'not responding' due to svhost hogging the CPU ??? - the subject of other threads)

(Sorry if this should be in the hardware section)

Dumb_Question
    5.March.2017

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

Since this is not going to be a bootable CD but, rather, a data CD, there's no reason to try to create an ISO. Just drag the files to the CD in your burning software. They'll be copied and you can then free up some space on the hard drive by deleting them (they'll be on the CD).

3. Dumb_Question

mdonah, thank you for confirming one course of action.
    Could also the merits of simply cntrl-c'ing all the files to be copied onto the CD, going the CD, and cntrl-v'ing (i.e., copying, one way or another, I just use cntrl-c and cntrl-v as examples) without the burden of using 'burning software ?

Dumb_Question
    5.March.2017

4. mdonah

If you're running Windows 8 — 10, the ability to burn data disks is built-in. Insert a blank CD in the drive, and Windows will ask what you want to do with it. Then ctrl-c and ctrl-v should work.

5. Dumb_Question

Thanks, mdonah. My mistake, I should have put machine specs in. But your response seems to imply that for this purpose, there is no difference between burning and copying (whereas for iso files there certainly is)

I want to perform these operations to back up drivers on a Compaq Presario S5160UK desktop (2x1GBRAM, Celeron 2.7GHz SL77U, Ge7800GS, Windows XP/SP3. I can do certain other preparations on a dm4-1164nr core i5 450M, 8GB RAM, Windows 7 Home Premium

Looks like the two driver files in total are too big to simply fit on one CD (oddly with/without MS drivers back up files are both about the same size ?)

Dumb_Question
    5.March.2017

6. mdonah

7. Dumb_Question

In fact I do not the hardware to write to DVDs on my Presario (I glibly said above I'll just use a DVD ....)
    I can write to CDs though, and I have CDburnerXP
    I managed to Burn a DVD from W7 a few days ago, but it might have been easier if have read the document in your link first !

So the conclusion is I do need to burn the files to CD, not just use O/S 'copy'.

Dumb_Question
    6.March.2017

8. mdonah

Yes, any way you "slice" it, you'll end up burning the files to an optical disk (CD/DVD). Now, you say you can't burn a DVD on the Presario. Does it read DVDs? If it doesn't, you're limited to CDs unless you have an external USB connected DVD drive.

9. Dumb_Question

Hey, mdonah, I apologise if I led you to believe that I couldn't burn optical disks on my Presario. I can't burn DVDs, only read them, having only a DVD reader, but I can write/burn CDs on that computer, having CD read/writer. I also have more then one (I think) CD burning program, but certainly CDburnerXP.

I could connect an external DVD read/writer, I bought a couple because I thought my optical drives in my Presario were dying, and to put in my first trial build !

But new plan is to burn 2 CDs one with non-MS driver back-ups and one with all driver back-ups. That gets round any problems I might have in future with DVD failure.

I also remember that 'burn' is sometimes used synonymously with 'write' or 'copy'

Dumb_Question
    7.March.2017

10. mdonah

No, the synonymous usage is incorrect. You write or copy to a hard drive or SSD. You burn to optical media. Different mechanisms/methodology.

MaxTurner likes this.
  11. Dumb_Question

mdonah, I have, on a previous occasion, downloaded an iso, call it aaaa.iso (can't remember what it was, might have been Hiren's UBCD)
    I "succeeded" in copying this iso to a CD. Result: the CD contained (only) the file aaaa.iso
    Then I burned the iso to another CD. Result: that CD contained a wealth of files and folders, and was bootable.
    Does this illustrate your point ?

Now, my original question was should I copy or burn the files I mentioned in OP (now revised to one driver file per CD because of their size), taking into account that burning and copying are different processes, but that it seems possible to copy files (isos anyway) ?

Maybe for these particular files, it doesn't make any difference ?

Dumb_Question
    9.March.2017

12. mdonah

For optical media, you are burning the files to the media using the laser of the optical drive whether burning an ISO so that it creates bootable media or creating a data disk with, for instance, your driver(s). In either case, you're burning that information to the CD/DVD.

With hard drives, the methodology is mechanical and magnetic (spinning platter(s) and moving read/write head(s); with SSDs and Flash drives, the methodology is strictly electronic (I don't fully understand how, sorry).

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds