Burned A Cd In Windows 7 But Win8 Cannot Read It

Discussion in 'Software' started by Nexus_, Dec 3, 2016.

1. Nexus_

Nexus_ Staff Sergeant

So even though i had had windows 8 in a computer for about almost 3 years i never actually tried putting a cd i burned in windows 7.

I mostly use my windows 7 computers so i hardly mess around with windows 8 too much other than occasionally browsing and doing documents on the windows 8 machines.

I burned a data cd ( kind of like a usb stick but in cd format) in my windows 7 laptop, but my windows 8 computers won't read them. I can hear the dvd drive spinning as if its trying to read the disk but i don't get a pop up like windows 7 where it prompts me to view contents of cd.

I have windows xp and windows 7 laptops and they ALL read the cds just fine. It seems its just windows 8 that is having an issue. I just tried loading the cd in a laptop that has linux ( lxle) and it read the disk just fine

my windows are a varition of the following:
    xp pro SP3 32 bit
    7 32 bit pro
    7 64 bit ultimate
    7 64 bit home premium

The windows 8 machine that is having issues reading the disc has windows 8.1 64 bit pro

I think i read somewhere where windows 8 doesn't have software right out of the box to read dvd movies and cd's ( data or audio?) , however i played a DVD with vlc just just fine on windows 8 but never tried loading a data cd.

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

In Windows 8/8.1, go to Control Panel -> Autoplay and set things up from there for the various media and check mark Use autoplay for all media and devices.

Nexus_ likes this.
  3. Nexus_

Nexus_ Staff Sergeant

option is already checked

see screenshots attached

Attached Files:

4. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

What software did you use to create this CD?

5. Nexus_

Nexus_ Staff Sergeant

Just the regular option in windows 7 to create a cd as data like a usb drive

Also used burnaware free and did the data disc option same issue. Cd is read on windows xp, 7 and linux but not windowx 8 cd attempts to be read but does not prompt me to open to see files

6. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

What happens when you double-click the CD/DVD drive with the CD loaded?

7. mdonah

I don't see "Mixed Content" in your screenshots.

8. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Sorry - I misinterpreted - I was thinking it was a re-load windows dvd/cd- so I almost made a bo-boo- I have found that a usb as well as a dvd would not 'read' in windows 8, when burned in windows 7. Also, that it would read in other windows 7 computers.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
  9. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

10. Nexus_

Nexus_ Staff Sergeant

It says please load a Cd/dvd

@ mdonah- As for mixed content missing on my screen shots, those are the only options i have in my autoplay screen.

@ baklogic- I ran Microsoft fix it and it made no difference.
    My dvd drive is a dvd+r dl rw, the data disc is a cd-r. I can assure you it has nothing to do with the dvd drive .. why? Because i am using the same dvd drive ( not a similar version the same exact 1) in the windows 8 computer as i am in my laptop ( it was an internal laptop hp drive that i converted to a ''portable drive'').

11. Eldon

Nexus_ likes this.
  12. Nexus_

Nexus_ Staff Sergeant

well the issue is somewhat fixed

I uninstalled the driver from the optical drive in the device manager and rebooted the pc , the first time it didn't do anything so i tried it again then inserted the cd and it read it. I was able to access the files from the data disc automatically

But.. shortly after accessing them my optical drive vanished it did not show up in my computer and now the issue is back again. If i uninstall the the driver once again it works for a bit but then it goes back to the same issue.

I think the culprit might be this optical drive and windows 8 , unfortunately i do not have any spare optical drives at the moment to test a different one

13. Eldon

14. mdonah

The drive may not be bad. There was an issue with Win 10 and optical drives disappearing. Unfortunately, I don't remember what the fix was but, Scan for hardware changes in Device Manager would bring back the optical drive at least for that Windows session.

15. Nexus_

Nexus_ Staff Sergeant

Oh i am pretty sure the drive is not the issue but rather windows 8 with perhaps this drive or just the OS itself. I used this optical drive for 3 years without any issues and still use it at least once a week.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds