Burner won't copy music files

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bowrabob, Jan 13, 2005.

1. bowrabob

bowrabob Private E-2

When I try to copy music from my hard drive? it only goes so far and freezes, the CDRW light keeps blinking but nothing happens, the mouse freezes, if I move the mouse about? I am able to shut Nero down but I can't eject the CD, all I can do is reboot, I don't seem to have a prob with CD to CD........I have an LG 52x24x52 with Nero 5.5.9.9.........any advice would be appreciated. Cheers Bob.

2. Phatsta

Phatsta Corporal

Congratulations, I had the exact same burner and the exact same problem. I tried looking over the cables, master/slave settings, ATA standards, DMA and update firmware but nothing ever had any effect whatsoever. For me it started slow, the problem didn't come as often as in the end. I also had a problem reading large files, such as .avi files and other files over 500MB. I had to replace my cdrw because it showed it was faulty. Now I'm the proud owner of a Samsung 52x24x52 :)

3. Doby

Doby Sergeant

Yea I have that burner in one of my machines to, but nero works fine but If I use the windows software and drag and drop it does the same thing, just started I guess it will start with nero to. Glad to know whats going on without having to check everthing, I'll just get a new one if it gives me to much trouble.

Rick

4. bowrabob

bowrabob Private E-2

I have had this burner for 12 months and it has perfomed well untill now, I was the thinking maybe it was some program I installed, I will try another burn program, if it don't fix the prob? I will get rid of it and buy a DVD burner................Thanx for your reply's.

5. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

Do you have Nero INCD running? If so, disable it, and see if that helps.

6. bowrabob

bowrabob Private E-2

No I don't, just the normal Nero burning program.

7. Turcoloco

Turcoloco MajorGeek

Just my 2 cents (it might help):
    assuming that you are running WindowsXP, try monitoring the processes running in the background prior to burning, close all applications and processes that are not system based, including firewall, anti-virus type programs and then try burning again to see if the culprit was another program/process or not...

PS, but couldn't help mentioning that on another forum I used to contribute at, I noticed many users with various (and some similar) problems that were using LG burners...it might be time to upgrade it. I personally recommend Plextor (more $ but hella reliable), Lite-On, Memorex or NEC.

8. Phatsta

Phatsta Corporal

me too. I had it for like 14 months then it started this. almost as if they'd program it to go bad after the warranty leaps out just to sell more... :)

9. Phatsta

Phatsta Corporal

I haf a Lite-On that made the exact samt thing once. I belive they're assembled by a third party comany and sold cheap to some brands, particulary LG and Lite'On which is the low budget option in this case. I'd recommend using Plextor -great stuff- as well. Samsung has never disappointed me though, even though they're also what you could refer to as a low budget option.

10. Turcoloco

Turcoloco MajorGeek

I never had much experience with Samsung, so I can't comment but I know their HDs are kinda bad choice. Lite-on makes their own drives using their own facilities and technology, they are new wh ich could be the reason for their lower prices but you are right about many low-budget drives engines/internal mechanizms are generally made by bigger, known companies such as Yamaha, Sony, etc.

Plextor is definitely a sound buy, performance and reliability wise though price wise they might be more costly (but I think it is worth it if one can afford it).
    I used Verbatim (kinda iffy), out of 3 verbatim drives one failed to burn after a few months of occasional use, it would give errors on any speed faster than 8 despite the drive being a 48x32x48x CD-RW. I used various high quality CD medias and burf-proof enabled.
    I owned and still use 3 Lite-on drives from 16x12x40 and 2 at faster speeds, no problems using Nero v5&6. They usually perform right up there with Plextor and cost 20%-40% less but one think for sure all brands could have a lemon, considering their production volumes and the fact that they could easily be damaged with harsh handling/shipping methods despite their packaging DOAs are even possible but in most cases their breakdown countdown starts open activation (use) of the drive.

11. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

Sounds like it could be a driver problem, try getting some drivers from www.driverguide.com for your cd burner. (Have to sign up but its free!)

12. Phatsta

Phatsta Corporal

I like driverguide as well, they have all the drivers you'd ever need from like 19th century until now :)

but I don't belive it's a driver problem though. if he'd run 95, 98 or ME then maybe he'd need to update the aspi drivers but in that case it would give you an error msg saying just that. 2K and XP does have the necessary drivers already. but sure, it doesn't hurt to try... my 2 cents are that he'll end up having done everything from a lens cleaning to ata check and still have the same results. too bad but ide devices go bonkers sometimes.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds