Burning bluray to disc

Discussion in 'Software' started by psco2007, Dec 23, 2013.

1. psco2007

psco2007 Master Sergeant

I'm starting to backup my bluray collection and have a question:

I can burn direct - using the full disc, or I can shrink.

I used Makemkv to convert - took a 43gb bluray to 19gbs.

I then used handbrake,which further reduced it - 7gbs.

Now I have to convert - used Freemake - 4.3gb.

How much deterioration will there be - it seems that going from 43gbs to 4.3 is defeating my purpose of keeping original quality, or is there a better way?

Thanks,

Paul

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I have little experience w/ BD, but I have ripped MANY DVD movies. If I took only the movie w/o features, bonuses, commentaries, and the like, I could get it down to 650mb-1.5mb depending on the movie. Generally, a move under 90minutes could be safely compressed down to 650-800mb (of course, the smaller the output file, the worse the quality). I was able to rip my Star Wars box set - all 6 movies - to fit on one DVD in DivX format w/o significant quality loss. However, BD is different. You can try different settings (such as going from 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound to 2ch stereo sound) to keep video quality, and I have friends that ripped BD movies to less than 2gb or 3gb, but it's a lengthy process (as you know) and there is a loss of quality. Maybe this is totally not helpful, but I tried. ;)

Merry Xmas!

3. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

That's a lot of compression.

Have you played back the video at each stage to compare with the original to see how much resolution you're losing with each step? It's size vs quality. Nobody is going to tell you how to get full HD quality in a tiny file.

4. psco2007

psco2007 Master Sergeant

\

Haven't tried that yet.
    What would be your suggestion to backup the BD getting the best quality?

Should I just burn the original gbs straight to disc?

5. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

I don't burn anything to disc anymore. HDD space is cheaper.
    Watch each video you you made on your TV. There is no magic answer. You might be satisfied with the smallest video while another might find it unacceptably degraded. You have to decide for yourself how much picture resolution you are willing to sacrifice versus how much storage space you can afford.

If you want to stick with the original Bluray resolution, the Make MKV rip is what you want.

6. psco2007

psco2007 Master Sergeant

I've got plenty of hdd space.
    That's not why I want to burn the backups to disc.

I watch movies, for the most part on my TV.

I'll just stick with MKV and burn to disc.

Thanks,

Paul

7. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

From MakeMKV's FAQ:
    http://www.makemkv.com/faq/item/13/catid/7
    As I pointed out earlier,I don't mess with discs anymore but here is where I would start:
    http://www.videohelp.com/tools/sections/all-in-one-mkv-to-mp4-avchd-ts
    Back when I used discs instead of USB/HDDs, I found a lot of useful info there. Another site you could check in addition to Videohelp.com is this one:
    http://www.doom9.org/

8. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Another good spot for info is the forum at afterdawn.... http://forums.afterdawn.com/

(I don't mess w/ discs much anymore either, no time and a lack of motivation ;) )

9. psco2007

psco2007 Master Sergeant

I took your advice and got the PS3.
    I downloaded Plex Media Server - and the PS3 recognizes it and opens my movies, BUT when I click a movie, nothing happens.
    Says something like "can't find 404." Although the movies play fine on my comp.
    The PS3 also recognizes the WMP12- but I am having trouble entering movies to its library.
    Do you just put them on a flash drive or use a Media Server?

Thanks,

Paul

Attached Files:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds