Burning dual layer DVDs

Discussion in 'Software' started by dlb, Jun 16, 2008.

1. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I have a full version of Nero 6.6.0.19 installed, and I also have a CD for Nero 7 (I haven't installed it yet). How do I burn a dual layer DVD? I have some large .iso files of 6gb and 7gb. I wan't to get 'em burned and off my hard drive, I need the space!

Thanks!

(I also regularly use most of the free burning apps here at MG: BurnAware, AShampoo Burning Studio 6, StarBurn, ImgBurn, etc)

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Not sure about the rest, but with ImgBurn, it shouldn't be any different than burning a single-layer disc. The app should automatically detect the media, burner, and your file, and adjust itself accordingly.

3. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

I havent done any myself, but i believe the prev poster is correct, the app should recognize what media you have and all else should work accordingly. Not sure about which version of nero will do it tho, just put in the disc and see what happens.

4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I had heard something about having to set 'layer breaks' and whatnot, but if it's just like burning anything else, then I guess I'll grab some blank DL discs and get to burning... do they make DLRW discs? are they ridiculously expensive? I'd hate to try to burn on a DL and have it go bad and waste the disc as the std dual layer blanks aren't cheap at $2+ each.

5. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

I have never seen DLRWs, myself. I hear you on the cost. FWIW, use the slowest burn possible for your best chances of success.

6. sosaman

sosaman Sergeant Major

i know on movies you have to set your layer breaks (or have it set for you), but i'm not sure about data disks? - sos

7. sosaman

sosaman Sergeant Major

bah, i couldn't edit my post.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-RW_DL

i guess we'll a learn something today. however, i haven't found where to buy them. i'm sure they are way to expensive though??!! :confused might be worth the expense of burning a bad disk or two? - sos

8. karensteve

karensteve Private E-2

Last edited: Jun 16, 2008

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds