Burning DVDs with Nero startsmart

Discussion in 'Software' started by sharonwebb19, May 27, 2006.

1. sharonwebb19

sharonwebb19 Private E-2

I am trying to burn downloaded films, the majority are avi files. I can burn them using the make data dvd option but these only work on a PC. I think I need to use the burn DVD video files option but you can only do this with bup, vob or ifo files. Can avi files be converted to these files and if so will they then work on a DVD player and prefably an X box as well.

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

3. hawklord

hawklord Master Sergeant

hi, all you have to do is open startsmart and click on 'make your own dvd video', you will find an option to add a file, when you have added your file/s (avi, mpeg etc) just follow the instuctions and use the next button at the bottom right until you come to burn, the files will be converted to dvd as you burn. ! remember legalities !

4. hugh750

hugh750 MajorGeek

What version of nero are you using?
    After going into nero startsmart just click on photo and video then click on make your own dvd video then click on add video files and the rest is easy, or just download a trial version of dvdsanta http://www.dvdsanta.com/
    and that will burn it as ntsc or pal (i don't know what your tv's format is).

5. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus MajorGeek

Another one to try is avi2DVD. An excellent freeware program.

6. mbgitw_07

mbgitw_07 Private E-2

So what do you do if none of your files are recognized when you try to add them? Does this mean I need to convert something or what?

7. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus MajorGeek

mbgitw_07 What sort of files are you using? The extention? avi? mpg? etc.

Are you trying to make a DVD?

8. hawklord

hawklord Master Sergeant

at the option to add a file, there is a line called 'files of type' with a drop down button, try that, also can you play the files normally (eg showtime or wmp)

9. mbgitw_07

mbgitw_07 Private E-2

YES I'M TRYING TO MAKE A DVD. MY VIDEOS ARE IN VARIOUS FORMATS AVI.,WMA ETC. WHEN I GO TO TYPES OF FILE AND ADD THEM, IT SAYS FILES ARE INCOMPATIBLE.

10. hawklord

hawklord Master Sergeant

i know i am repeating this but can you watch your vid files on your pc

11. Shotgun_Shortz

Shotgun_Shortz Corporal

I want to slap doofus, Could be because its encoding with a codec that isnt on the DVD player or Xbox.

12. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

You need to use NeroVision to convert those avi and wmv files to DVD-Video format then it will burn your compilation to a DVD that will play in a standalone player. In StartSmart select 'Make Your Own DVD-Video' or open NeroVision from the Windows program menu.

13. sharonwebb19

sharonwebb19 Private E-2

cant get this website, i get the following message:

Sorry, we couldn't find the page you're looking for.

Try one of the above links, though, and maybe you'll find it.

If you received this error attempting to download parts of VirtualDub, please let me know by email.

Note: VirtualDub 1.3c is not available on this website, period. Stop looking

14. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus MajorGeek

15. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus MajorGeek

Try using a different media. If it is working on the PC there is no reason it should not work on a stand alone DVD player.

Well there are a couple of reasons.

1/ Media....try a different brand of disc.

2/ Your stand alone DVD player does not support the format of the media eg, DVD-R, DVD+R

16. hawklord

hawklord Master Sergeant

i had this problem with nero 6, i could only burn dvd to re-writable discs (then only certain ones), i updated to nero 7, set it to burn pal only (european), set my dvd+/-rw to pal and deleted 2 drivers i had left over from a previous program which seemed to be conflicting with nero aspi drivers, it worked,
    don't know if all or one could have fixed the problem,
    if you look in the info manual for your stand alone dvd it should tell you which dvds it can play (pal,ntsc or both),
    hope this helps

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds