Burning Hard Disk Image

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by surfing4ever24, Aug 7, 2005.

1. surfing4ever24

surfing4ever24 Private E-2

I recently reformatted my hard drive so I could clear it of all the crap that has been put on it from over 6 years of service. I just finished installing all of the securitiy updates and I want to create a image of the drive. I'm not really familiar what that is, but what I'm looking for would be a sort of recovery disk where I could put it in and it would return my system to what it is now (nothing on it but xp, and windows updates). Is this possible?, and how would I go about doing this? I have a burning drive but don't have any burning software, and I'm not willing to buy anything as I'm short on cash. Any input would help.

Thanks,
    John

2. surfing4ever24

I need help as soon as possible because I need to get my regular programs back on, but I can't do this until I have the image file.

3. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

Before you can even start you need some software to be able to burn a CD. So make that your number one priority. ;)

4. surfing4ever24

I've got the software, just need help with what to do.

5. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

I use Acronis TrueImage http://majorgeeks.com/Acronis_True_Image_d2236.html for backing up my hard drive. Nero 6 burning software (if you have it) also has a drive backup feature, though I've never tried it. Norton Ghost is also another to consider, I have Ghost 2003 on my kids computer. There are also some free drive backup programs in the MajorGeeks backup section http://majorgeeks.com/downloads3.html that you could try out since you haven't got anything besides the OS, so you don't have to worry about losing vital data.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds