Burning songs on a dvd vs cd

Discussion in 'Software' started by greybuffalo, Mar 3, 2013.

1. greybuffalo

greybuffalo Staff Sergeant

I can get about 11 hours of data (mp3) on a cd. How much could I put onto a dvd,I was thinking of transfering all my 11 hour cds onto one or two dvd's,is that possible :confused

2. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

You should be able to save 6 filled CDs(6@700MB=4.2GB) on a single layer DVD(4.37GB), possibly more.

3. greybuffalo

I tried burning my data CD's onto DVD data, but it came out blank. Any suggestions

4. cipher

cipher Major Geek Extraordinaire

What software are you burning with?
    You want a non-bootable data disk, correct?
    What type DVD media are you using?

Are you sure your selections/settings are correct? DVD Data Disk...

5. greybuffalo

I am using infra recorder,but I tried another too.
    What I am doing is copying all my mp3's into a file,then using a dvd-rw,and making sure I have enough space.
    Then I burn a data disc,Ive done it a hundred times with CD'S.
    I seeeem to be having trouble erasing anything on these dvd's too,maybe thats a clue,but I have tried blank/new ones too,it appears to burn,but comes out with nothing on,although it says its full?:)

6. cipher

Are you trying to use/overwrite DVD/RW media?
    I use DVD/R or CD/R and don't have much experience with the re-writable media.

7. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

The RW media is a failed technology, in my opinion. I've used it before, and it works, but it's pretty picky on which drives it wants to show the data on. I had a similar issue as you did, and it turned out that while that particular drive would burn to RW media, it wouldn't read from them (I was able to read the disks on another computer with a different brand/model optical drive).

Since that incident (many years ago), I have stuck to -R media. Even the good quality disks are very cheap.

8. greybuffalo

I think you are right,that I have a full disc,full of music,but this burner is not reading it,as it shows up as full,but says,nothings on there.
    I will try in my car and I believe 10-1 that music should be burned on there!:)

9. cipher

OK, but this statement by you confused me:

If you are using CD/R or DVD/R what are you erasing?

Also, I convert MP3s to .WAV for my truck, no MP3 player. If you have an MP3 player in your car, you should be good. make sure you set it up for an audio burn to get the lead in and such that are needed...

10. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

I agree with not using RW media if playing in a audio device and not on a PC, but quick question from all this for me is does your car audio play DVDs?

I'm not way up to date on what's new and if car audio now plays DVD disks, as I have had a car for last 5yrs that uses a USB port for connecting to the audio system. So just curious to why the disks say they are full and if your car would not play them, unless you tested on your PC and they where blank there?

I agree with Cipher on making sure the burning app is set for an Audio/MP3 burn process over data.

11. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Does you car have a DVD player? Does the player read mp3 files?
    Our cars are older and have CD drives so I have no personal experience with car DVD players.

Your best bet would be to simply move the mp3s to an sdhc card and use a USB card reader or an sd slot to listen to the music.

I play my songs in the car through my mp3 player hooked up to portable speakers. I backup the players on spare micro sdhc cards. My players have a micro slot so I can play what is on the internal hd or play what is in the micro card in the slot.

I use this
    [​IMG]
    or
    [​IMG]
    as speakers.

12. cipher

greybuffalo:

Post # 8 is the first place using these in a car is mentioned by you.
    Is this a storage/backup issue or playback issue?

13. greybuffalo

I have now tried burning onto a dvd-r and it works on my computer,but not in my car which plays MP3's on cd?
    Why's that? :confused

14. cipher

Is your car player a DVD player? Some vehicles have a CD player only, particularly older vehicles. Get a known good audio DVD that works and try *it* in your car.

Or try the one you made in someone's car that you know can play DVDs.

15. greybuffalo

Oh,
    it must be cd only,but says MP3.
    I guess its doesn't play dvd's

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds