Burnt PSU

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BeerMonkey, Oct 16, 2004.

1. BeerMonkey

BeerMonkey Master Sergeant

My 420watt powe supply is dead.
    I opened it up, and i saw a fuse burnt, and some resistors.
    Would some one be able to fix it?

2. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Lol, it would cost more to fix it than get a new one. Sorry mate :p

3. Rob M.

Rob M. First Sergeant

Probably not cost-effective if you have to pay someone to do it. If you have the parts and are handy with a soldering iron, you might be able to do it yourself.

But two cautions:
    • If you don't do it right, you could fry your mobo or other parts connected to the PSU.
    • If you don't know how to discharge the power capacitors inside that PSU safely, you risk giving yourself a painful electrical burn (or worse) if those capacitors decide to discharge themselves through you.
    In short -- let it be. Buy a new PSU.

4. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Careful when messing around inside a PS, they can store enough voltage to Harm you.

Usually that generic junk even has a warranty, RMA it!
    Best bet get your self something like an Antec true 480.

5. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

As for discharging capacitors... there is a trick I learnt from some pro's who work on high electrolytic caps. Simply put a christmas tree bulb over the terminals. It will safely dissapate all that energy as light/heat, and the cap will be discharged. If you're working on 230V~AC or 115V~AC caps (i.e. in a PSU or monitor) then make sure you get a matching bulb. Don't want any of these 16V DC jobbies, they would just explode in your hand. Ow.

And also, things that are burnt arn't nececarily the only things that are broken. You can't "see" if an electronic component is broken, it can be tricky to troubleshoot complex devices like a PSU.

6. WobblesRArt

WobblesRArt MajorGeek

And along with this thread, can I plug a power supply in to the wall and see if it’s good, or does it need to be installed within a computer. I’ve been given four older power supply’s……wobbles

7. General_Lee_Stoned

General_Lee_Stoned BuZZed Lightyear

You can test an ATX Power Supply by jumping the pin for the ON switch with one of the ground pins....use a paperclip or a small piece of wire...
    See Here

An AT PSU does not need to be plugged into a motherboard to work

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds