Busted Headphones(USB)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MCorduan, Feb 9, 2012.

1. MCorduan

MCorduan Private E-2

I have these good $40 headphones that don't work any more. The USB end got cracked and some of the wires were disconnected. I did a little solder job on it but windows still can't see it.

Am I basically out $40 on this? Or is there something that can still be done?:confused

[​IMG]

2. Puppywunder58

Puppywunder58 Master Sergeant

Hi gumshoe546,

Bumping is usually not allowed unless you have more information to add to a previous post.

Your image is very blurry so it is impossible to see anything. I would just replace the headphones with a set of Cyber Sniper Sonar 5.1 headphone/microphone headset. About $65 at Tiger Direct.

3. MCorduan

MCorduan Private E-2

What you mean it's blurry? ;)

I have some other headphones/earbuds. These were just my "nice" ones. They are also my only headphones with a Mic..

4. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

From WordWeb: blurry 1. Indistinct or hazy in outline

Just a head's up: I have seen motherboard USB headers smoke because of improper solder jobs - not saying you've got any wires crossed, but it can be a dangerous practice...

5. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Did Windows recognise it before you started soldering?:-D There are lots of things you could try if you have the patience,

You need to check the continuity of your soldering and your headphones,with a multimeter set to ohms or resistance put one probe on each of the soldered joints and the other on it corresponding solder joint speaker inside the headphones which you will have to disassemble,you will also have to desolder all of the speakers then re solder them one you've finished testing.This is the only sure fire way I know of to make sure the joints are good.The resistance should be low 1-10ohms on each of the connections.

With the speakers desoldered the left and right speakers 'usually' share a common negative so across these two pins it should have a low resistance,the positive wire on the left and right shouldn't show any resistance value at all as they shouldn't be electrically connected

Its hard for me to go into any more detail without having it in front of me.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds