Buying a new setup...need help if this is good for its price

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ShinjiIkari, Dec 18, 2004.

1. ShinjiIkari

ShinjiIkari Private E-2

I've been looking around on some websites and found a good setup that I did a custom build and would like some comments on it...here it is...

3200+ AthlonXP Barton Core 400Mhz FSB CPU with AMD Approved Heatsink and Fan
    ASUS A7N8X (8X AGP, Sound, LAN, NForce Chipset DualDDR)
    512MB Corsair Select PC3200 DDR400 Memory
    120GB 7200RPM 8MB Cache ATA100
    LiteON 52x32x52 CDRW w/NERO
    128MB ATI All in Wonder Radeon 9600XT DDR DVI/TV AGP
    420watt NZXT Black Guardian Gaming Case w/side window 3 fans (4 5.25, 4 3.5 bays)
    10/100 Ethernet Card
    Sound Blaster Live Digital 5.1
    180watt PMPO Speakers
    1.44 Floppy Drive
    Standard Black PS2 Keyboard
    Standard Black Scroll Mouse
    Blue Neon Light for Case
    Extra 80mm Case Fan
    Standard 1 year parts and labor

It comes out to $755, would this be worth it?

2. PC Jedi Master

PC Jedi Master Private E-2

Sounds like a nice setup to me and a good price, where did you find this?

3. ShinjiIkari

ShinjiIkari Private E-2

4. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

Get an a64 3000+ or 3200+ its about 30%-50% performance boost over an AMD XP and you wont regret it. Of course you would need a diff mobo; the price diffrence should be minimal. When selecting an a64 and mobo look for 939pin cpu and mobo like MSI/ASUS

5. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

So missinformed my child :eek:

ATA133 is virtually identical to ATA100 just another cheap marketing ploy. The performance on an amd64 is not just becase its "64bit" but in its more advanced capabilities and technology onboard the cpu itself and from nforce3 (and soon to be nforce4) mobos.

6. ShinjiIkari

ShinjiIkari Private E-2

OmegaMerc - Hey, thanks for the advice, but what is the clockspeed on the AMD 64? The 3200,3000s and all those numbers that AMD puts out doesnt really tell me what the clockspeed is :rolleyes:

And if I changed the mobo and cpu, it would cost $870 or so with those two upgrades if I wanted a 3200 with an Asus mobo. :)

And also, I dont want to get an AiW 9800 since im just trying to get the TV capabilities on it, thats about it, I havent found another video card with the same things AIW has for its price

7. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

a64 3200+ runs at 2ghz; but this shouldnt be what your looking at; unlike intel AMD does not deal with "raw speed" instead they make better chips by having better architecture's and performing better at lower raw speeds. The 3200+ is symbolic with how it performs on a counter part[intel] 64bit processor (3200mhz). Right now intel doesn't have any 64bit processor so the best comparison is the p4 3.4ghz; hope it helps!

The best a64 mobo for 939 pin is hands down the MSI Neo Plat 2 (NOT neo plat 1 754 pin)

8. ShinjiIkari

ShinjiIkari Private E-2

Hey, sorry for the low reply, but heres what I found a new setup...

3200+ AthlonXP Barton Core 400Mhz FSB CPU with AMD Approved Heatsink and Fan
    ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe (8X AGP, Sound, LAN, Serial Raid NForce Chipset)
    512MB Corsair Select PC3200 DDR400 Memory
    120GB 7200RPM 8MB Cache ATA100
    LiteON 52x32x52 CDRW w/NERO
    128MB ATI All in Wonder Radeon 9600XT DDR DVI/TV AGP
    420watt NZXT Black Guardian Gaming Case w/side window 3 fans (4 5.25, 4 3.5 bays)
    10/100 Ethernet Card
    Sound Blaster Live Digital 5.1
    180watt PMPO Speakers
    1.44 Floppy Drive
    Standard Black PS2 Keyboard
    Standard Black Scroll Mouse
    Blue Neon Light for Case
    Standard 1 year parts and labor

If I buy the MSI K8N Platinum, it would come out to $900, but with this setup with just the ASUS mobo, it comes out to about $760, so I might just save up later for the for the MSI K8N and the AMD 64 3200.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds