buying internal HDD w/ external enclosure

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by goldbough, Oct 24, 2004.

1. goldbough

goldbough Private E-2

I'm looking at buying the hitachi 400 GB internal drive and putting it in an external enclosure since I'm moving overseas soon and want everything important on one drive. Right now I have 3 HDDs: original, 2nd internal, 1 external. Anyway, I was looking on newegg.com for external enclosures and found a belkin but went to belkin's site and they said that enclosure won't support anything over 250 GB. So I looked again at newegg and found an Addonics enclosure (model AE5SACSUF). The addonics site says for drives over 127 GB you have to partition it with USB or SATA connection before firewire can be used. by the way, I have to use firewire to transfer things from my other drives to the new hitachi. I don't have USB 2.0 and don't want to go into why. My question is if a SATA connection means I can just throw it into the internal of the computer and let it boot up then take it out and put it in the enclosure. Another question on the hitachi: there are two models on newegg; I looked on hitachi's site and one is parallel and one is serial. I'm thinking I should get the serial, right? thank you.

2. SiLenZe

SiLenZe Private First Class

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds