buzz or ring trying to boot up--nothing shows on monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by eigenvalue, Jan 24, 2006.

1. eigenvalue

eigenvalue Sergeant

bought a new PC in August---have used it seldom

today I tried to use it again (by booting up) but all I get is a buzz or ring sound---monmitor doersn't even show ANY writing etc

called customer support (at e machines) tech guy suspects it is the power supply, and it is still undfer warranty, so, I can mail it back to them for repair
    a different guy (a friend) suspects it is the cooling fan (he says they crash, omly on bearings, etc)

Any thoughts ??? ---needed the new PC because it has XP operating systems, AND (for example) was told by the Verizon DSL guy that XP is better than 98SE (plus the new machine is generally better, eg much more RAM, faster CPU, more hard disc)

repeating---any thoughts as to why I can't boot up, and/or hear this ring or buzz noise and/or why nothing shows up on the monitor ??

am communicating with my old machine (a Compaq about six years old)

2. Bluepickle

Bluepickle Major Folder

It could be your motherboard, video card, or processor. But most likely I'd say it's your power supply. A fan malfunction alone won't make your computer stop booting.

3. eigenvalue

eigenvalue Sergeant

thanks

--I don't understand why there is a ring or buzz--is that built in (into the system), ie that a ring or buzz "signals" something is wrong ??--I'm also curious as to what advantage there is in installing too large (in terms of watts) a power supply--say the system needs 300 watts, but one installs, say, 400 watts---or maybe too large (in terms of watts) can "burn out" stuff ??

and do power supplies just go "poof" ?? ie fail for no apparent reason ??

I'm also in the "process" (haven't done this yet) of maxing out the motherboard---has 2 slots, and the PC came with 2 512 MB RAM cards (??),
    and "the guide" says I can put in 2 1024 MB RAM cards--the cards have been ordered, and am having a computer place/repair store install the new RAM cards (probably on Thursday), and the tech guy there will (I guess) hear the buzz or ring, and see the "non-operability" of the PC

4. eigenvalue

eigenvalue Sergeant

Wed, 1-24-06

Bluepickle

I should learn tomorrow why I can't boot, as I'll be going to the repair shop/installer of the 2 gig of RAM---I have some other general questions to ask the guy also, like the advantages (none ??), and disadvantages (can result in "frying" components ??), to having/installing a power supply of more wattage/watts than necessary

5. Bluepickle

Bluepickle Major Folder

Is the beep and or buzz like an alarm? I took it to mean it was some kind of noise coming from a component itself.

There's no danger in installing a bigger power supply than you need. The power's just there when/if you need it, on demand. It's not applied all the time.

I'm not sure about the newer e-machines, but I know the old ones were bad for using proprietory (sp??) power supplies, meaning a standard ATX power supply won't always work.

6. eigenvalue

eigenvalue Sergeant

the ring or buzz sounds like, to me, an alarm---but I'll find out tomorrow (Thurs, 1-26-06) if the power supply is proprietary to e machines--I already know the motherboard is proprietary to e machines---in any event, I can always use the CPU, hard disc, video card (??), CD-ROM thing, CD burner thing, DVD reader thing, DVD writer thing, and 2 gig of RAM somewhere else, assuming the e machines PC is "going to hell in a handbasket"---maybe Ill even sell to others the two (2) 512 RAM "sticks" to others

I'd dislike mailing the complete PC back to e machines for repair, as in transit some guy might "dribble it like a basketball"---and maybe I can mail back (to e machines for replacement) only the component which failed

7. eigenvalue

eigenvalue Sergeant

well, I found out the problem on Thursday (or at least a problem for now)

wasn't a failed power supply nor failed video card, nor failed CPU, nor any fan which failed, nor a failed motherboard

the guy (who installed at the same visit) two (2) gig of RAM "tapped this and that", and then the PC worked--so I asked "what did you do ??"

he said the CPU got loose and the CPU wasn't pressed in firm enough

whew ---I thought I would have to mail back the complete machine to e machines for fixinbg (under the warranty)

I now, also, have DSL---so, (which is OK) I have two (2) ISPs, and two (2) e mail addresses---I don't want to tell all the people in my address book (some 600 people) that I have a new e mail address---at least not yet

and I don't have a proprietary (to e machines) power supply---the power supply is a 300 watt BSTEC (??), and I have no idea how "cheap" such might be

8. Bluepickle

Bluepickle Major Folder

Good news! Glad you got it fixed...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds