Bypassing a PCI.sys error...

Discussion in 'Software' started by bnsa, Jul 14, 2006.

1. bnsa

bnsa Private E-2

Do you think it will work if I format or wipe the C Drive and install Windows XP? Before you answer... right now the C drive isn't formatted and I'm getting a PCI.sys error when I put my Windows XP setup disk in. By wiping the C drive, do you think I'll bypass this error?

Thanks

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Probably, yes. The software on the disc is in known working condition. PCI.sys sounds like a low-level driver for your PCI bus/slots. The CD will replace the bad version.

3. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

You asked about this in another thread. I have seen this before and had asked you if you had PCI Express and was your CD of Win XP SP2. This is what I'm thinking:

One, it was working fine before you reformatted to do a clean install.

Two, I think the system builder's pirated XP was a VLK version with SP2 slipstreamed in. No sense being a pirate unless you have the latest and greatest. (No changing its key with a retail version key, either.)

Three, it's a newly built computer, so it's reasonable to assume it has PCI Express, and

Four, this stop error in pci.sys is a known issue with pre-SP2 Windows and PCI-e. If your legit WinXP CD is not SP2, creating a CD with SP2 slipstreamed in from it will likely do the trick.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2006
  4. bnsa

bnsa Private E-2

Sorry I didn't reply earlier... Yes I do have a PCI Express. I don't know if my version of Windows XP is SP2 because the top part is too faded.

I haven't formatted it to do a clean install yet... it's my last resort because all I've got is the "pirated" version currently running. With the PCI error preventing me from partitioning and formating the original c drive so I can put the clean one on, it's causing me to have doubts.

Yes, you're right it is PCI Express.
    Four - If my version is a Pre-SP2, How do I create a slipstream sp2?

(Thanks a million for responding!)

5. bnsa

bnsa Private E-2

I googled how to slip stream.... I'm going to give it a shot. Wish me luck!

6. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds