C: Drive failure/recognition

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cobra, Jul 21, 2005.

1. Cobra

Cobra Private First Class

I have a really old Goldstar computer that I put a differnet hard drive into. This drive is a Western Digital Caviar 32500 AT Compatible Intelligent Drive. The Drive parameters are:
    Cylinders: 4960
    Heads: 16
    SPT: 63
    Capacity: 2559.8 MB

I just can't get it to work no matter what I do. I set all the settings in the BIOS to the parameters listed above but it wants Landing Zone and WPcom. I have no idea what the Landing Zone and WPcom numbers are. The drive spins up fine and the computer seems to recognize that the drive is there, but if I go to format any part of it it gives me an error. I'm not exactly sure if a computer this old can use a drive over 2 GB, but it is the smallest drive I have. The previous drive was a 119MB drive.

2. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

I doubt that a computer this old could use a hard drive over 500 meg, although I could be wrong. It sounds like a BIOS issue. Hope this helps! :)

3. Cobra

Cobra Private First Class

I doubt that it can handle one over 500MB either, but would it be possible to get the computer to just use part of the drive if it can't recognize all of it?

I don't know if the drive is dead or not. It spins up and down just fine, but it is really loud when the computer case is open.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds