C drive full....Vista installed 2 times

Discussion in 'Software' started by beyondthebasicblackdress, Dec 29, 2008.

1. I have a Gateway laptop that is using Vista. It has had problems since it was given to me so I have been messing with it trying to get it working correctly. (oooops)
    It looks like I have somehow installed the Vista program 2 times and now the C drive is almost completly filled. I have spent days and days trying to figure out how to get rid of one of them.
    Is it possible to just wipe this computer clean and start all over? (which is what I was trying to do to begin with)
    I do have an installation disk.

You should know that I am not a computer guru, so I need kindergarten instructions or if you could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not worried about losing anything as I have also managed to already make all that disapear....(once again ooooops)

2. Hi, I don't have any other kind of programs. It basically a bare computer.
    I'm having trouble finding the disk management your talking about.

I do know that there are two drives. C drive and the D drive.
    I keep getting an error of a pop up window telling my C drive is almost full, when I click on it to delete any extra programs. When I tell it to scan for clean up, nothing shows up in the list. When I look at the drives, The C drive bar is completely filled up with red and the D drive shows just a little bit of blue on the bar.

The reason I'm thinking that there are two Vistas is because when I reboot it always gives me the option of two different Vistas for me to choose to open with.
    I did download the vistabootpro and ran it and it showed that there was two Vistas and another one that was called something like earlier version of windows. I told it to delete one of the vistas and the earlier thinking that would clear the C but the C is still showing all red.

I really want to wipe it clean and start freash just like it came when it was new.

3. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

It is likely that you do have two installs and one is a custom install. If this happens then Windows creates a Windows.old folder. The Windows.old folder contains folders and files that were used in the earlier version of Microsoft Windows that was installed. This would be why your C drive appears to be full, despite the computer having very few applications or files of your making on it.

To resolve this issue, follow through this link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933212

Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
  4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

If wanting to start from scratch, what installation disk is it you have a Full version of retail Vista or the recovery CD thats made or given with a Gateway PC?

Some steps.....

1. Gateway

Step Complete PC Restore - Restore a system-level backup. This assumes you have done a Complete PC backup prior to attempting to use this tool. This backup point could be stored on DVD/CD discs or a local hard drive.

2. Microsoft retail Vista

The Gateway recovery CD/DVD from what I read may resemble the install of a retail Vista, so enter your BIOS and make sure the 1st boot device is set to CDROM > Save and Exit, pop your Recovery disk in and see if menus are like the pics in the above link, if so what you need to do to remove the partition that both installs are on, step 8 choose custom and in step 9 highlight drive and choose Advanced and in step 10 delete the partions then as its says unallocated space choose New and make the partition the full size of the drive then format, then continue with the install.

5. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Try this

Reinstall Vista on a Gateway system

1. Copy all your own files and folders to an external storage (Disc, USB stick even SD card - 1 GByte capacity should be ample - even 512 MB)
    2. Shut the PC off
    3. Turn the PC back on and keep hitting the F8 key repeatedly until the Advanced Boot Option Screen appears
    4. Click "Repair Your Computer" – if you are not already on it, use the up and down arrows to maneuver to it and then press ENTER
    5. Next you have to pick your country and click OK
    6. On the "System Recovery Options Screen" click "Restore Application" (last option)
    7. Follow the on-screen instructions
    8. When prompted, click on "Full Factory Recovery"
    9. Click "Next"
    10. Click "Yes"
    11. Go and have a cup of coffee - don't touch anything - for a while it seems like nothing is happening
    12. After many minutes, recovery will complete and you click "Finish

6. It says that the C drive is 9.72 GB with 0 % free
    The D drive: 139.33 with 118.5 GB with 84% free.

The disk says: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit, Operating System Disk.
    Use this disk to re-install your operating system. It also says "for distribution only with a new Gateway PC.

I followed the instructions on the disk which is how the double install happened.

Lev; I followed the instructions that you gave me at this link To resolve this issue, follow through this link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933212,
    The folder Window.old does not excist on my computer. I also did a full search for it and nothing showed up.

I really appreciate all the help.

7. Thanks everyone. I have tried everything that has been suggested here.
    None of them have worked. I'm afraid I'm going to have to take it to somebody before it drives me crazy.

The D drive is just called the D drive.

I guess thats what I get for free....a headach....lol

I'll keep checking to see if somebody has any new suggestions.

Happy New Year!

8. Yes there is.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds