c:\program files\Common Files

Discussion in 'Software' started by Vlad the Impaler, Oct 18, 2003.

1. Vlad the Impaler

Vlad the Impaler F.K.A. Immaculate

c:\program files\Common Files

I have noticed many things in this directory I'm not sure I need, and Norton is picking up a problem in this directory that "cannot be solved because a file is missing"...

Is it safe to delete files in this directory?

2. mtmra70

mtmra70 Private E-2

umm....no...I wouldnt do that. There are many reigstered DLLs and such in that folder.

3. Vlad the Impaler

the problem is coming from this directory:

C:\Program
    Files\CommonFiles\InstallShield\Professional\RunTime\0701\Intel32

the filename is DOTNETINSTALLER.exe

safe to delete?

4. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

It's a false positive. Ignore it. Check Symantec's site. Can't get to them myself right now.:confused:

5. Vlad the Impaler

well, here's what i did

I deleted the file, and ran Norton windoctor, and it fixed the problem, then I restored the file back to where I deleted it from.. hopefully it didn't screw anything up.

Next time i'll ignore it.

6. ArchAngel

ArchAngel Sergeant

Good rule of thumb for Windows NE version: If you didn't create the file and/or don't know what it is, leave it alone.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds