c:\windows\system32 files now have title of misc

Discussion in 'Software' started by chrisrn1969, Sep 21, 2004.

1. chrisrn1969

chrisrn1969 Private E-2

Having trouble opening the my computer icon..just says searching...I posted on another tech board and it was found that my system32 files start with C:\MISC\System32 etc instead of windows?
    ANybody have any ideas? I am clean from all virus/trojans etc..Followed all examples in your file titled Read Me First Before Asking FOr Support. so I know I am clean..
    This happened all of a sudden..I noticed my camera, printer and scanner are no longer recognized by computer stating they are not installed when they show up in device manager no problem.
    Anyhoo..I posted a message in the general section a couple days ago with no response...
    Any ideas??
    Thanks in advance
    Chris

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

If you have files located in C:\MISC\System32 theres a chance you have a virus. What makes you sure you do not? Do you have the latest motherboard chipset driverS?

3. chrisrn1969

chrisrn1969 Private E-2

I dont know for sure i guess..but i have followed all of the instructions and downloads for trojan's in the article on this site..i have ran hijack this for another site and it seems to be clean...
    I dont know about the latest motherboard stuff..i have an old system and limited in my knowledge of computers. I cannot afford a new system at this time unfortunately.
    Do you have any suggestions for finding out if i have a virus.. i cannot open the my computer tab or windows explorer to see what may be going on unless i am in safe mode..then they do open.
    I am stumped...
    Chris

4. Major Attitude

Well, if you came up clean in safe mode online scanning, you should be ok... Though some DLL files, etc., hide well. Check your motherboard chipset to see if it is Intel, VIA or SiS, probably one of those 3 and I can point you to a download for it. Your making me curious to see your log file though, a recent scan, feel free if you want a second opinion.

5. chrisrn1969

chrisrn1969 Private E-2

According to what I can find I have a SiS 530/620...I can post a copy of my hijack this file if that is what you mean by second opinion..here it is from earlier today...oh yeah i have a program files folder on C & D drives..I made the one on D when I started downloading programs to my second drive due to space constrictions on the first a couple years ago...I am running a compaq presario 5360 w/xp home, amd-k6 3d processor, 316mb Ram, and the above Sis 530/620. Also yes all scans from the many programs clean on safe mode..
    Thanks again..I dont know what to do at this point..

# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
    #
    # This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
    #
    # This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
    # entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
    # be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
    # The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
    # space.
    #
    # Additionally
    # lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
    #
    # For example:
    #
    # 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
    # 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost

127.0.0.1 www.igetnet.com
    127.0.0.1 code.ignphrases.com
    127.0.0.1 clear-search.com
    127.0.0.1 r1.clrsch.com
    127.0.0.1 sds.clrsch.com
    127.0.0.1 status.clrsch.com
    127.0.0.1 www.clrsch.com
    127.0.0.1 clr-sch.com
    127.0.0.1 sds-qckads.com
    127.0.0.1 status.qckads.com
    # Start of entries inserted by Spybot - Search & Destroy
    # End of entries inserted by Spybot - Search & Destroy

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2004
  6. Major Attitude

People who checked it did a top notch job, it looks pretty good. I only have 3 comments.

Your running a lot of crap you can do without on startup on an older machine. Thats something you can check yourself. Your machine must take 3-5 minutes to boot up, maybe longer to a useable state. If your familiar with startup items, try StartupCPL in our admin section.

As for the Hijack This log, your running multiple instances of AOL, lets kill of some of those, you can leave the last 2 if you want it starting up in the tray.
    O4 - Startup: America Online Tray Icon.lnk = C:\America Online 4.0\aoltray.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: America Online 7.0 Tray Icon.lnk = C:\Program Files\America Online 7.0\aoltray.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: America Online 8.0 Tray Icon.lnk = C:\Program Files\America Online 8.0\aoltray.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: America Online 9.0 Tray Icon.lnk = D:\Program Files\America Online 9.0\aoltray.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: America Online Tray Icon.lnk = C:\Program Files\America Online 9.0a\aoltray.exe

Finally, your Windows Updates are in bad shape, you dont even have Service Pack 1. This leaves you open to major known security holes, the type that are known and easy to exploit. Update.

The SiS 530/620 is your video card. You my have a VIA chipset, you can look up your computer modle on Google to see if you can find out more. An older HP might be an intel chipset. Once you find out, heres some links... but I am convinced this is a good first step.

Intel Drivers:
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download1667.html

VIA drivers:
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download1131.html

SiS at http://www.sis.com.tw

7. chrisrn1969

chrisrn1969 Private E-2

Thanks for your advice..I do not normally have all of that running in startup because of small resources..I was told to enable everything in startup to run the HiJack file and have yet to change it back..
    I do need to update my windows..it has been awhile..
    I will try to investigate to see what driver I have..I just dont understand what made everything change all of a sudden. I accessed the my computer folder within the last two weeks for sure.
    So once i find out what driver I have, check for an update and that may fix the problem? I dont want to be a pain and keep posting..
    I will check back once i have done those steps and see what you think.
    A huge sincere thanks for looking at this~
    Chris

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds