Cable Modem troubles!!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kc2hse, Sep 25, 2003.

1. kc2hse

kc2hse Private E-2

My friend has a Motorolla sb4200 cable modem. Usb works like a charm but the ethernet is a different story. I have tried all I can think to try. We're attempting to hook up a seperate computer on the ethernet side of the modem as well as having one on usb. Can anyone tell me why I am having this trouble?
    Usb computer
    2400 Amd
    512 mb ddr
    80 gig harddrive
    windows xp

Ethernet computer
    450 mhz amd
    190 mb ram
    20 gig drive
    windows 98

2. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

you can't multi-home off the cable modem. there is only on NIC in there. If you want to hook two pc's up, then I would suggest that you look into purchasing a router.

3. kc2hse

kc2hse Private E-2

That's what I keep trying to tell him to do. He claims and so does the cable company that he can do what we are trying though? It did work once i guess but not well.
    Thanks for the info Kodo

4. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

Well, if it is possible (but I don't think it is), then you'll need to have your ISP give you another DHCP address. In which case your bud has to pony up some green back for the extra IP.

5. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

What about internet connection sharing?

Or am I reading this all wrong?

6. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

gack.. ICS is horrible. get a router..

7. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Well, he didn't ask if it was good or not ;)

8. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

noted.. but it still sucks ;)

9. kc2hse

kc2hse Private E-2

Thats what the attempt is to share the connection. Not working right though. the ethernet doesnt even work alone on one computer. Something's very strange

10. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

So...USB works.

Ethernet does not.

What is your IP under USB vs. Ethernet?

Can you ping yahoo.com by fqdn or IP?

11. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

is your IP config setup to obtain DHCP and DNS from the ISP?

12. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I think we can agree there ;)

13. kc2hse

kc2hse Private E-2

yes when the computer is hooked up through usb it works fine
    when you attempt to hook it up ethernet it doesnt find a connection

14. kc2hse

kc2hse Private E-2

I'm not sure about the IP config setup. I guess I'll have to take a look next time I'm over there

15. kc2hse

kc2hse Private E-2

Ok!!! So what would be a good inexpensive router?

16. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Dlink routers are inexpensive and get the job done.

Check out the DI-604+

17. kc2hse

kc2hse Private E-2

Thanks I'll check the D-Link out

18. dister520

dister520 Private E-2

I had a similiar problem, it turned out i had to reset the cable modem, using the software cd, and the reste button.
    The point is its either usb or ethernet, not both. I would choose the ethernet anyday, in my case usb hasnt been the greatest
    good luck
    D:eek:

19. exeter_acres

exeter_acres Sergeant

Agreed with the modem reset...when swiching from USB to Ethernet (or vice versa) power down and restart the modem...

and use a router... $50 to $60 would do you just fine... plus you get the hardware firewall

20. Endi

Endi Lt. Links

even though

the usb works fine you still can only have one mac address on that modem and I am sure you do. One mac address per device. You are trying to use 1 mac address for 2 computers what you need is a hub or a router to split the bandwidth.

21. hw209

hw209 Private E-2

one other thing to try is before switching the cable modem to ethernet is to uninstall it in device manager while it is still hooked thru usb and then shut down and then hook it up to the nic card or router.

22. Starkman

Starkman Private First Class

Okay, now I'm not sure if this applies, but ...

I remember in Win98 that you had to go to ... crap, what was it again ... IPconfig and select the adapter you want to use; it doesn't change over automatically to whatever you are using. If XP is the same, you may have to do this (Winipcfg, though ... isn't it? Gads, it's been too long!)

Starkman

23. djlowe

djlowe Private First Class

Hi,

From the technical specifications for the SB4200 that I found at:
    http://commerce.motorola.com/cgi-bi...37516&prmenbr=126&bcs_cgrfnbr=230509&zipcode=

<snip>
    Supports up to 32 users (1 via USB and up to 31 via Ethernet) (01)
    Ethernet and USB connections are bridged allowing LAN traffic between USB device and Ethernet LAN
    <snip>

So, it appears as though it does support having one device connected via USB and others via Ethernet simultaneously.

That being said, I'd not do it that way even if it allows it. Get a router that has a built-in switch and hardware firewall and put 'em all behind it :)

But, if you're determined to do it this way, assuming that the cable modem doesn't need to be configured in any special way to permit both ports to be active at once, it sounds as though the ethernet card in the additional PC that you are trying to attach isn't getting an IP address for some reason.

First ask the ISP's tech support if they have to do anything on their end to allow multiple IP addresses to be leased via one cable modem - some cable services charge extra for more than IP address per account, and the ISP's network people have to enable it.

The next thing to check is whether or not the physical Ethernet link is getting established. Look at the Ethernet port on the PC when the Ethernet cable is connected to the PC and to the Ethernet port on the cable modem, and everything is powered on: Does the link light on the network card in the PC light? I'm assuming that the Ethernet interface in the PC has a link LED - the cable modem doesn't appear to have any on the front panel if the picture is correct, it appears to have Power, Receive, Send, Online, Activity and Standby. The Online LED might be a link indicator of some kind, but if both the USB and Ethernet ports can be active at once it doesn't say much for either port's state - try disconnecting the USB side and see if the Online light stays lit with the Ethernet side connected and there might be one or more LEDs on the back, so you should look there, too, to see if the cable modem has discrete link indicators for the USB and Ethernet ports.

If link LED doesn't light on the PC side when everything is powered on and running, it could be a bad or wrong cable, change the cable with a different one of the same type (i.e. if it is a normal Ethernet cable, try another normal Ethernet cable). If that doesn't work, if you're using a standard Ethernet cable, try a crossover cable, and vice versa.

Another thing occurred to me: The Ethernet port on the cable modem might be switchable between straight-through and crossover, and doing so might require flipping a switch on the cable modem. If it has such a switch, it would be located near the Ethernet port, and would be labelled something along the lines of "Straight/Crossover", "Normal/Uplink" or a graphic that looks like two parallel horizontal lines (for straight through) and one that looks like a X with an underline (for crossover). If it has such a switch, change its setting while everything is connected and powered on and see if the link LED on the PC's network card lights up.

Here's a fairly rigorous test: Shut down both computers. Disconnect the USB cable from the cablemodem. Turn off the cablemodem. Plug the Ethernet cable into the cablemodem and into the PC that you are trying to connect via Ethernet. Wait for a few minutes. Turn on the cablemodem. Turn on the PC that you are trying to connect via Ethernet. Can you get Internet access from the PC with this setup?

If you can, then the problem is that the ISP hasn't set the connection up to permit more than one IP address. If you can't, then it could be any of what I detailed above, or the network card in the PC might be bad, drivers might be missing/corrupt...

Regards,

djlowe

Last edited: Oct 24, 2003
  24. Misslemike

Misslemike Private E-2

Usaully, if you use a hub, the ISP will charge for extra IP address. SO, the router is much better idea. Uses only one Ip Address for the ISP side and you can have multiple computers given Ip adresses on the inside from the router. I am confused on doing it with this modem any other way? Can the USB be another network connection getting an IP address???

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds