Cable Speeds

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Anon-fe04a256cf, May 29, 2017.

1. Anon-fe04a256cf

Anon-fe04a256cf Anonymized

I am doing all this looking up on google about Cable Internet speeds.

And yes I know you can pick the plane you want.
    And I know the more people on your Speed will go down.

But I am just trying to findout what are the basic Data speeds for cable?

2. Anon-469e6fb48c

Anon-469e6fb48c Anonymized

The Basic now a days is 10MB per-second and up.You can get lower settings for normal browsing and web and email.But if you are a gamer and on PC,Xbox,play-station you need at lest 10MB per-second or faster to any good gamming.

3. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

It depends on your provider.

MaxTurner likes this.
  4. alexstephenson

alexstephenson Private E-2

Ethernet cables, they are generally divided into two major categories, i.e. CAT 5 & 5e and CAT 6.

#1. CAT 5 is what is regarded as ‘slowpoke’ Ethernet cable, although to a non-technical person, a 10/100 Mbps and 100 MHz bandwidth might seem something with great quality, but the fact of the matter is that these figures are obsolete.

#2. CAT 5 enhanced or commonly known as CAT 5e.With 100 MHz bandwidth and 1GB speed, CAT 5e will suffice most of your networking needs.

#3. CAT 6 is superior to the CAT 5 group. With its 250 MHz bandwidth and up to 10GB of data transfer speed, it stands as the best you can get when it comes to Ethernet cables at present.

#4. Cat6a allows connections up to longer range at a speed of 10 Gbps.

5. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

I think there is misunderstanding around cables and the speed. As JustPlayin says it is the ISP and its equipment that determines the speed sent down the cable, whether they are copper or fibre optic, the latter being able to handle the fastest speeds. For FibreOptic the fastest speed depends on whether the connection is FTTC (Fibre to the Cabinet - which is external to the property) and the state of cables from Cabinet to premises, or FTTP (Fibre to the Premises).

Last edited: May 30, 2017
  6. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

@Fruity cables - he's talking about cable internet, not Ethernet cables.

There is no such thing, in terms of industry standards, as "basic data speeds". As Just Playin correctly noted, and as you correctly noted, it all depends on your ISP and the plan you choose with them.

If you are wondering what you should get, you need to determine what you will be doing. If just surfing the Internet, Facebook, email, and occasional YouTube viewing, you can go with your provider's cheapest plan and for most users, this is at least 5Mbps which will even support Netflix streaming to 1 device. But I would recommend a plan that provides 10 to 15Mbps minimum as that will allow you to have more than one streams or one stream while someone else is downloading other content.

If there was such a thing as "basic", it would be more like 10Mb (megabit) per second, not 10MB (megabyte) per second.

B = Byte
    b = bit

It is not being nit-picky. There's a big difference and it matters a lot as 1 byte is commonly considered to equal 8 bits.

7. Anon-469e6fb48c

There use to be basic don't you remember 56K modems and slow crawling be for cable even went public.

Most ISP company's will most likely start you out at the basic level which in most cases is 10 megabyte per second unless you request more than that.Like Pro II or up versions.And it depends on your area and how much you can afford.

Me personally i just use the internet i don't watch TV unless i use internet any how.It depends on your needs and your preferences.

When i first got internet at my parents house with cable it was 10 now it has increased.But now at my own house i use 72 megabyte per second be cause i use a lot of stuff that uses wireless and hardwired.And i game a lot with my computers.

I just pay for internet hook up i have no TV box's.

8. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

9. Digerati

Oh, you are just a kid! I remember 150 and 300baud modems! And I remember when 1.2K modems were supposed to be "faster than we'll ever need". 150, 300, 1200, or 56K are all "dial-up" modems and totally different from cable or DSL modems.
    Not true at all. First, there is no standard "basic level". Second, every ISP is different. Many, start out at 5Mbps or even less for download speeds. This is especially true with DSL. And third, once again, proper terminology is important in technical discussions. It is not 10 megabyte per second, but megabit! There's a big difference between a bit and a byte! Please use the correct term.
    No you don't. It's 72 megabit. Don't believe me? Run speedtest.net and see for yourself. Your results will be shown in Mbps (that's megabits per second, not bytes) as mine are here:
    [​IMG].
    That's fine but note one has nothing to do with the other - except they both run over the same cable. TV over cable and Internet over cable are two different services that operate on different frequencies. Because they use different frequencies and services, they do NOT share bandwidth. You can have 5 TVs viewing cable TV and they will have zero impact on your Internet performance. Now if you are streaming through an Internet streaming service (such as Netflix) then the Internet bandwidth used by your computer is being shared with that streaming device. But again, cable TV and cable Internet do not share bandwidth, only a common cable. It works similar to the way you can run your network over your home's electrical power cables with a network power line adapter you plug into your wall outlet. Note it supports 1 Gigabit or 1000 Megabit per second (Mbps).

10. Anon-469e6fb48c

Yes i will admit i do not know a whole lot when it comes to ISP.All i know is what i need to get my computer builds done and sold.

But when i build a desktop or repair a computer i make sure i know how to first.

But i do tend to mix up my speeds names.It's easy to make a mistake.

But what i do know in a lot of cases when there are issues with modems is that.It's either the cable modem or wireless or your filter to your modem or the lines need replaced or just the ends of the lines.I have had to deal with these types of issues my self.Some times it's best to replace it all.

The Filter is set for the modem so that it does not interfere with other systems or TV or your neighbor's equipment.

Not trying to get off topic here.

11. Digerati

It is not normal to have or need line filters. The vast majority of networks don't. An unwanted side effect of filters is they attenuate the desired signal, in addition to filtering out the undesired interference. Filters are typically needed when there is a poor ground to Earth either in your facility or a nearby facility, or interference is being emitted by a nearby faulty device. So filters typically are only added if the source of the interference cannot be determined, repaired, or eliminated.

Proper termination of cables is essential. And sadly, neither Ethernet or coaxial cables can tolerate much physical abuse. The F-Type connectors used on coaxial cables are made of brass so you can step on them with no damage, but the cable can be pulled out of them fairly easily. RJ-45 connectors used on Ethernet cables are made of plastic and are not robust at all. And sadly, many pre-made cables are just cheap and poorly made. So I always make my own cables. There are many advantages to making your own. Besides consistently better quality, if I need a 15 inch cable between my modem and router, I make a 15 inch cable. If I need a 17 foot cable, I make a 17 foot cable. I don't have to buy a 3 or 6 foot cable, or a 25 foot cable and stuff the extra length somewhere.

For those interested in making your own Ethernet cables, invest in a high quality crimper. The extra money spent will pay off in the long run many times over. A cable tester is a nice to have tool too. Be prepared to waste a few connectors in the beginning to practice your assembly skills. That too will pay off in the long run.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds