calling all notebook experts, good deal?????

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cooley346, Jul 14, 2006.

1. cooley346

cooley346 Private E-2

2. cooley346

cooley346 Private E-2

I could get one with more L2 cache like 1meg and probably some better video for the same price but it would be smaller and have less of the other option. What is L2 cache exactly anyways and would I notice a big difference between 512 and 1meg.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Cooley, Nice laptop as I have a few family members with similar, only thing I would have different would be 1gb ram opposed to 512mb, but at least with the ATi x200 IGP GFX with its built in 128mb memory you dont loose any system ram. Yes to your question on 512mb vs 1GB ram, but your GFX is fine I can run windows Vista fine on X200 IGP and it runs Battlefield 2 ok... but extra ram is a plus.. especially if in future youwill think of running Win Vista.

Great price :)

The laptop is pretty thin and light so is very portable, unlike mine which is more a desktop replacement and a lump to cart around.

4. cooley346

cooley346 Private E-2

thank you. anyone else.

5. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

Cooley, l2 cache is more important with intel processers, i have the older version of the one you bought, the 5000 with amd, my cpu is 1.6 with 128 l2 cache, does everything i need to do plus, i think you will be completely satisfied with your laptop.[ mine is heavy too]. ed

6. cooley346

cooley346 Private E-2

So I won't really notice a difference between the 512 and 1 meg of cache. This is tearing me up. I just hate to know I didn't get the best deal and now I find out that I could have got the same computer but it's a 8305 instead of a 8210 and the only difference is it has 1mb of L2 cache as opposed to my 512kb all for the same price. It also has xp media center to but I could really care less about that.

7. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

Nice pick!!

I have an older version of that and my dad just picked up that one a couple of months ago, and he LOVES it!! If you rated a computer power user from 1-10, I would say he is about a 7 and it does all and more for him, and like I said...he is thrilled with it!! He did however get the 1 gig of ram, so if you are looking to add a little extra oomph...then it never hurts to get more ram!!

As far as the L2 Cache...I wouldn't worry about that, most moderate computer users wouldn't even notice the difference!!

Roger

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds