Can 533fsb mobo run 400fsb processor?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by urbmd, Dec 22, 2011.

1. urbmd

urbmd Private E-2

I am trying to upgrade an old ibm netvista 8310-26u (mobo 49p1599, unclear revision) with the maximum cpu and a faster video card (I have several 7800gs agp, and a 7600gs agp that would just not run in my old dell 8250.)

I am trying to match a new cpu to the ibm mobo but there are no compatability specs to be found anywhere and the lenovo/ibm site is too vague to be reliable, especially since I don't know what revision I have.

Everest tells me the motherboard currently runs a pentium 4 2.0ghz Northwood, 400fsb, 512k cache, socket478uPGA (I assume type 2?), step C1,
    A80532, 0F27h.

On ebay I have seen the Netvista 8310-26u sold with a Pentium 4, 3.0ghz, 533fsb processor, but I don't know if that is with a different mobo revision running at 533 or if the mobo is downclocking the a 533 cpu to 400. Is there a way to find a mobo's maximum fsb potential?

Can I put any Northwood pentium 4, 478uPGA2 into the socket and just see how well it works, or are there specific parameters I must match to prevent damage?

Thanks for any input!

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

No matter what the board, you need to go and find the manual. This won't take you long but can save you a lot of headaches.

3. urbmd

urbmd Private E-2

not gonna happen. It's an oem board. I can try to write to ibm, but you can imagine the likelihood of success with that.

Thanks anyway

4. urbmd

urbmd Private E-2

Not take me long? Is there a safe place you know of to find detailed manuals for oem mobo's? I know I can get a hundred hits on google but most of those are fake advertising or places to get viruses. I would not want to pay unless I was sure they were giving me the right thing.

I do have a basic 8310 manual that was made to cover about 40 different netvista models and gives no real details on any of them. They do list IBM parts numbers for cpus which are not translatable to standard Intel cpu codes except by suppliers who want to charge 50x the part value.

5. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

Typically, yes. I think all the 533Mhz FSB mobos were backward compatible to the 400Mhz FSB. However, I did find a website that listed the IBM NetVista A30p 8310-xxx manual. It looks like if you put an email address in, they will send it to you. It may be the same one that you found, though...

6. urbmd

urbmd Private E-2

thanks for the suggestion I am waiting for the site to send me an 8310 manual. I can only hope it is different from the manual I have already.

7. urbmd

urbmd Private E-2

No, so far they have not emailed me anything. All the other "manual" sites I have tried either give me the multi-model manual (with no useful info) or are fake sites for advertising.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds