Can a CD be formatted to appear as a floppy?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wtw, Oct 1, 2010.

1. wtw

wtw Private E-2

I have a rather unique problem and am hoping that someone here might offer some help or point me towards resources.

The other night i was enjoying a cup of coffee while sitting with my Acer Aspire 5100 on my lap, it is a LAPTOP after all ;).

Not realizing that the caffine was having little effect on my sleepyness i dozed off and before i knew it WHAM!!! I had a keyboard full of coffee.

Luckily (im hoping) I had the presense of mind to rip it apart immediately, and begin the drying-out process. 2 days later (figureing it was dry, i took a good cleaner sprayed down waht looked coffee stained, and began a very careful and intensive cleaning (again allowing 2 days for a good drying out.)

I put the Aspire back together, hit the power button and WOOOO HOOOO everything seemed fine, the good old ACER blue screen came up with the message to hit F2 to enter setup............then it frooze :cry

I have since been spending days searching for info on the web and the only thing i can find is WINCRIS for recovering the BIOS. Trouble is ALL I have available are usb ports (which the BIOS in it's current state) will not allow me to boot from. However, I can get a Win XP disk to start a setup in the cd/dvd drive. Since the ONLY thing that the BIOS will read is the CD, I need to know if there is a way of formatting a CD to apear as a floppy. Im guessing it would need to be FAT16 and bootable as a system disc.

I realize the moral to this story is don't fall asleep with a coffee in hand over your keyboard, but i can't afford a replacement laptop or motherboard.

2. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

I believe that you are referring to an El Torito CD. Here is a link from Microsoft explaining how to do what you ask, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/167685. Nero and Roxio also have the capability to make these. Hope this helps. :)

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Yeah Mount Ranier format and whats know as drag to disk is what you need and Novice pointed out the two main applications that deal with this format.

Nero InCD is one app HERE and cannot remember it its free or not, worth a try though

4. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds