Can a virus stop my laptop from booting?

Discussion in 'Software' started by choccyb, Sep 20, 2009.

1. choccyb

choccyb Private E-2

I'm not great with computers but do have a laptop. It started when it became very slow, then the wifi stopped working and finally I couldn't get onto the Internet with a cable.

I decided to reformat, it went through the process I think. I left it running while away. Now it doesn't boot.

Could all of this be caused by a virus?

Thanks

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Not likely if you did a complete reformat. I am moving the thread to the software forum where you can get additional assistance.

3. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

How did you reformat the hard drive? Did you reinstall the OS? Was a factory restore disk/partition used? What message appears on the laptop when you turn it on after the initial splash screen from the manufacturer? :)

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

A dying hard drive will make a computer slower.
    At startup, can you get into the BIOS?
    Keys to get in might be F1, F2, F3, F10, F11, F12, esc or del
    If none of those work, there are two and three key combos that are used on some computers.
    Start up the computer and press F1; if it doesn't do anything, reboot and try the next key until you have rebooted and tried all the keys to see if any work. Once you get in, simply write down the key that worked so you don't have to repeat trial and error. Esc will get you out of the BIOS without making changes.
    What is the brand and model of laptop?

We will then be able to tell you what to look for in the BIOS to see if there is a hardware problem.

5. choccyb

choccyb Private E-2

Sorry folks had a wee holiday. Thanks for the replies so far.

I re installed the O.S from a disc. It doesn't get as far as the splash screen now. It only says no O.S. found?!?

I can get into the BIOS using F1. In the boot order everything is excluded, I changed the order and included the hard drive, CD and changed it several times. It made no difference. I have tried putting the same Disc in to re-install O.S again but the machine no longer recognises the CD drive (I used an external). It went through the expected process until the end where it said no hard drive installed!?!? At this point I found floppy boot discs and again it went through the process but said no CD drive installed. The last thing I tried was to remove the hard drive and attach using USB to IDE adaptor this actually displayed the splash screen.....and then the blue screen of Death!!

I'm all out of ideas....anyone?

It's a Higrade 8615.

Thanks in advance.

6. tym

tym Corporal

Sounds like your hard drive died. You may try a Live Linux C.D. and see what happens. I am sorry I don't know much about Linux someone else would have to help you on that end. But if it were me, That would be my next step. A live Linux C.D. see what happens. The Live C.D. is just what it says. It will allow you to run Linux from the C.D. Drive with installing it. I THINK?? it will work fine if the hard drive is bad. But again wait til someone with more knowledge than me can help you with trying A Live Linux C.D. Hope that helps. Have a nice day.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds