can anyone guide me to linux?

Discussion in 'Software' started by fiver22, Apr 30, 2006.

1. fiver22

fiver22 Sergeant

I really want to try linux: can anyone post a step by step guide on how to install it on MY system? -given MY system specs? -I'm leaning towards Mandrake -or is it Mandriva? I'm really looking for a morons guide to installing linux given MY pc specs (see my signature).
    I'm hoping that some linux-savvy cat will take pitty on me and post a step-by step guide for me.
    Thanks for your time (I REALLY appreciate it),

2. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

OK, so, what is the plan? Do you want to keep windows on there? (if you're completely new to Linux I suggest you do). If you you'll need to repartition your drive/resize your partitions. I believe Madriva comes with a nice GUI tool which will let you resize partitions quite easily.

Check this guide out:
    http://www.mandrake.tips.4.free.fr/installmdv2006.html
    If you hit problems, post here and we'll see what we can do :)

3. fiver22

fiver22 Sergeant

Yes, I want to keep Windows: So I'll probably need something like Partition Magic, eh?
    I'm gonna check out the guide you suggested!
    Thanks for your time, goldfish -I appreciate it.

4. taz55

taz55 Private First Class

definalty keep windows. i am using a xp mandriva system. it works good. and mandriva will allow you to repartion your windows partion from its gui setup

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds