Can anyone please help me re loss of use of usb ports and card reader etc?

Discussion in 'Software' started by snakelady258, Oct 5, 2010.

1. snakelady258

snakelady258 Private E-2

Hi There. :)

I have been chatting with Tim in the Malware forum, and he has kindly checked my computer for any further malware problems, but it appears to be clean now but I still have a problem.

I am cutting and pasting my post that was to Tim who suggested I come to the soft ware section now to sort this part out.

Hoping someone can please help me here.

Kind Regards,

Maureen. :)

Tim, I down loaded what I thought to be a free version of RegCure, and then my problems started. IE, I can't use any usb port or the built in media card reader etc. I turned to Microsoft Security Essentials, and they dragged out and quarantined the RegCure, calling it Malware. I certainly did not have any problems until I downloaded this. Now when I place a camera lead in a usb port, It is trying to connect for ever without succeeding and if I try to abort the mssion,then I am left with a blank desk top, and have to turn off manually. Thats all I can really say.

Everything is fine re the drivers, but windows explorer can't get to read anything .

Maureen.

2. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, Maureen.

We need to know the make, model #, service tag #, etc. of your machine.

If possible, download and install Everest, a free system information tool.

Run Everest and click Report (top menu) > Report Wizard > Next.
    Choose System Summary Only > Next - Choose Plain Text > Finish and wait for report to generate.
    Click Save to File and leave the File Name as Report.
    Click the Save as Type dropdown and choose Report files (*txt) and click Save (n.b. Save to desktop, use Browse to locate desktop)

Then attach your log to your next post as per these instructions: HOW TO: Attach Items To Your Post.

3. snakelady258

snakelady258 Private E-2

Hello Caliban. :)

Thank you for caring enough to try to help me out. It is much appreciated. :)

Kind Regards,

Attached Files:

4. Caliban

I see it's an Acer F690GVM motherboard - to verify, what is the model # of your computer?

5. snakelady258

snakelady258 Private E-2

It is ASPIRE M1100.

:)

6. Caliban

Thank you - I am researching your motherboard.

Meanwhile - in Device Manager, are there any flags showing? I know you posted "Everything is fine re the drivers", but we need to make sure.

7. snakelady258

snakelady258 Private E-2

Hi again Caliban. :)

I have as per your request rechecked in device manager, and all is fine. No flags, question marks or yellow triangles. I did unistall and re install all drivers just in case they had been corrupted. This was done via a paid up version of Driver Cure, which is still scanning daily now, and all reports from device manager and Driver cure say up to date and working correctly.

I don't have any other issues with the computer and even internet explorer works fine, UNTIL I try to use a usb port or the built in card reader, then internet explorer tries for ever to connect the two up, and fails and I go to abort and end up with a desk top which is blank and have to turn off manally. It is very strange, like there an invisible wall has been placed on the pathway stopping the internet explorer from being able to access, and is why it can still be trying up to an hour later. I am so sure that the malware caused this, but it seems no one knows exactly what it has done to create the barrier.

PS I tried hard to research the RegCure and did find a lot of complaints out there, and people getting rid of it, but no mention of how to correct any damage. Do you know anything about this item or indeed any trojan copies of it out there?

8. Caliban

It is extremely hard to find any drivers for your machine - I've visited many sites, and the consensus seems to support that the F690GVM/M1100 is one tough cookie to fix. I'm still searching, though.

Never used Driver Cure - I tend to shy away from such programs, and I think you'll find agreement here that most of those types of apps should be left alone. I'll try to find any references about damage it may done.

There is one driver cleaning program, however, that you might try: Driver Sweeper - follow the program's prompts while uninstalling/reinstalling drivers, and it tends to clean up any garbage.

Quick nomenclature clarification, so as not to cause confusion: when you say "then internet explorer tries for ever to connect the two up (usb port or the built in card reader)", do you mean Windows Explorer? If Internet Explorer is performing actions when you try to access a port, then there may be something else going on.

9. snakelady258

snakelady258 Private E-2

I am so sorry Caliban. I should have said Windows explorer. :-o:-o:-o

Thank you again for trying so hard to help me out here. :)

I have already done the above but will do it all again using the driver sweeper as recommended by you.

I will let you know when this is done. :)

Maureeen. :)

10. snakelady258

snakelady258 Private E-2

I keep getting this error message when I try to run Driver sweeper. Unable to execute file. C:\Program Files\Phyxion net\Driver Sweeper\Driver Sweeper.exe Create Process failed code 740. The requested operation requires elevation. :(

11. Caliban

No problem - you'll have to 'elevate'. Right click on the .exe, and then left click 'Run as Administrator' (you may have to enter your admin password). If that doesn't do it, uninstall the program, then reinstall as an administrator.

12. snakelady258

snakelady258 Private E-2

Hello. :)

Thank you once again. :) With those easy to understand instructions, I have now installed the program, and ran it just now, but sadly usb ports and memory card reader still not working. :(

13. Caliban

Hi, Maureen.

Were there any hitches during the driver reinstall? And, what drivers are you using (name, version #, etc.) - were they downloaded from Acer?

Are you able to access your BIOS? If so, see if the drives are listed there.

14. Caliban

Download and install this cardbus driver, reboot, and see if your media reader symptoms change.

15. zapp

zapp Staff Sergeant

i have a similar problem and have not been able to find what is causing it. something is stepping on any/all usb devices.

16. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

See if this helps.

Shut down your computer completely, unplug the power cord from the back for at least a minute (this drains the power from everything). Then power back up.

Also:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817900

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds