Can Anyone Recommend Streaming Audio/Video Software?

Discussion in 'Software' started by bper, Jan 4, 2005.

1. bper

bper Corporal

I'm interested in running a streaming audio/video server on linux. I'm running RedHat 9.0 on a P4 2.66, and I need to know what are the best options available.

I've heard of the Darwin Streaming Server, and Icecast and Shoutcast.

Does anyone have a recommendation? Is there a preferred linux distro and version that should be used?

Thanks.

2. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Have you considered Helix server (from Real)? Its quite efficient, and you can stream live audio/video using Helix Producer if you so desire.

Shoutcast DNAS is great for audio streaming, but not so great for video.

What is the application? Broadcasting live a/v, or mainly streaming static files?

3. bper

bper Corporal

Thanks for responding!

Right now my focus is on static files. I'm interested in live broadcasting also, but that is a far future consideration.

Is it better to have two streaming servers, one for audio and one for video, or is using a good all-in-one solution the way to go?

Have you heard of the Darwin Streaming Server? Is it a viable option or not?

What kind of bandwith, system requirements should I be looking to have minimally?

Thanks.

4. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

I've heard of the Darwin server, because its an open source version of the QuickTime server. I tried it out for a while, but realised that many people do not have QT, and so the most attractive part of the software (the high quality QT streaming) would restrict people who used it.

Now, if you are streaming audio and video files, I would get a seperate server for each. Not physical machine, of course, but diferent applications.

The only way you can know for sure is do some tests and see what works best.

My reccomendation for you would be: Shoutcast for audio, and Helix server for video. But Helix server isn't free.

5. bper

bper Corporal

Thanks again for responding!

Regarding Darwin, what if I asked my folks to download the QT player? Granted, it takes extra effort but would that be so bad?

Icecast is supposed to be an open source version of Shoutcast, right? Do you know of any glaring differences/limitations?

You've been very helpful. Thanks a lot. I will explore your recommendations and do some tests.

Thanks again!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds