Can free anti-virus be trusted?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Howmanator, Dec 9, 2009.

1. Howmanator

Howmanator Corporal

I have been reluctant to trust the free software (the old "you get what you pay for" syndrome). My concerns now are motivated by the economy. I need to learn frugal living in this day and age, so, if AVG, Antivir et al are as reliable as advertised I'll give them a try. I trust the advice I get on this forum because you guys have proven yourselves to be trustworthy.

2. ~Q~

~Q~ Command Sergeant Major

In a nutshell, yes, you can trust free anti-virus programs.

BUT ther are many many many many, bogus/fake AV programs out their!

AVG and Avira antivir are both very reputable trustworthy programs (AVG is just not very good IMO)

Avira
    Avast
    Comodo
    AVG
    McAfee
    Norton

To name but a few are all well known and trustworty antivirus prog's. (and i have listed them in the order i would recommend them)

And unless you have a reason not to use it, i recommend Avira, as it is a lightweight, well equipped AV that i use on many rigs myself.

Q

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Yes free antivirus can be very trusted, but to just start with my advice is to stick to the main companies in the Antivirus industry who develop the likes of AVG, Avast, Antivir and even now Microsoft Security Essentials etc (there are a few others) as they base their free versions off the paid for scan engines so basically you are getting the core of the retail app but not all the bells and whistles

To be honest I have only used Avast and testing Microsoft SE of late for my antivirus needs and I have no issues with their performance at all, the main problem with online security is the user, not keeping apps and the OS upto datte, downloading apps, music etc from non safe sources and being click happy when a pop up appears that's come off an infected site or clicking unknown attachments in emails

when this happens not even the most expensive all singing AV may save you from infection.

Do try the free solutions out as many here use them and you don't normally see rhe core members having to run the malware read and run me on their personal PCs.

4. ~Q~

~Q~ Command Sergeant Major

Never have more truthfull words been spoken :D

Especially my bold, keeping things upto date is so important (OS and AV being paramount)
    Your AV is almost useless if it doesnt have the right database of updates!

I update Kaspersky Three (3) times a day if im on the computer all day, and it is usually the first thing i do when i boot up.

Now i run all my updates manually, but if you are not willing and able to keep everything up to date daily, hen they should be on auto update!

Q

5. Imperfect1

Imperfect1 Private First Class

After using annoying Norton for many years, I was very happy to switch over to Avast, and have been pleasantly surprised by its performance. I have it set to automatically update "Definitions" and I manually install all of the updates + new versions when they come out.

It runs quietly in the background, very unobtrusively, and doesn't seem to noticably slow things down (unlike Norton, which did). So far it has been able to rid my system of all viruses, worms and other malevolent creatures, and I do a lot of web surfing, sometimes to sites that could be infected --- so I have no complaints about Avast. It does a good job.

6. duckfeet

duckfeet Corporal

Just coming to this site a couple of years ago, and reading both the Malware Forum's "Read and Run Me First," http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407 and also "How To Protect Yourself From Malware," http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=44525 changed everything about my computer practices and knowledge. It taught me so much about protecting my own computer, and made me a much more reliable source of information to my friends.

Most of them, when they *do* have problems, it's because of not knowing the basics of taking care of their computer, which the aforementioned links show how to do. I'm on the malware forum right now, once again, seeking help for a friend...when it comes to computers, this site changed everything for me.

7. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

I trusted Nod32 (paid)for 4 years and recommended it to all who asked until the day i opened an e-mail attachment ( i know it was my fault) and some beast got into the PC and i ended up formatting the drive.

Since then i have used AVG free and (touches wood) have not had the slightest problem, it just tends to be over protective in that it throws up some false positives, at least i know it's working.

8. Howmanator

Howmanator Corporal

Thank-you to everyone who responded to my post, I knew I could count on well reasoned responses. I'll get to downloading and seeking which is best suited to my needs.:wave

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds