can i delete a 20GB hidden partition in windows 7

Discussion in 'Software' started by Acidtest, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Acidtest

Acidtest Private E-2

HI there ,

i appear to have a nonlabelled , non formatted partition (the volume label and file sys type are blank) on my primary drive (it arrived this way from the vendor - ASUS G73JH-A1). it says it is 100% free space but disk manager does not give me any options to format , merge etc (all are greyed out , only delete is an option ). I am using an oem version of windows 7 with no hard backup dvd.

is this anything to do with a recovery disk and / or system files , or can i delete it ? the problem is it seems rather large at 20GB !

also if this is a recovery partition how would i use it as it is not ntfs and cannot be read? do i still need a backup dvd as well ?

if it is not a recovery partition can i format and create this sort of partition , ie one that would take the place of using dvds...

2. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Could you attach a screenshot from Disk Manager showing all your drives/partitions please?

3. Acidtest

Acidtest Private E-2

thanks for hte quick reply !

here is the screen shot.

Attached Files:

4. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hmm, your best bet is to get over to the ASUS site's forum and checkout what that partition is for, it may just be to store the data to create the Windows and drivers disks - have you created the recovery discs yet?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds