Can I downgrade an Acer 5100-3372 to XP?

Discussion in 'Software' started by niceyo2002, Jan 15, 2010.

1. niceyo2002

niceyo2002 Private E-2

A friend of mine wants me to do him the favor of downgrading his vista to XP. I checked the Acer support site and saw drivers for Acer Aspire 5100, but couldn't look up the drivers exact for the 5100-3372 model. Anyways, if that's the case, can I downgrade Vista to XP with no problem? I'm not asking how to downgrade it. I know how to remove an OS, do a clean wipe, etc. However, this is the first time I'll do a downgrade from Vista to XP. Basically, what I'm planning to do is do a full wipe of the hard drive. What I'm also concerned about is bitlocker, or any other built in software that will not let me install XP. Has anyone here have done a downgrade on Acer? Please share any info, thanks.

2. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

Where are you going to get Windows XP from?

3. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

You may want to look at this.

4. niceyo2002

niceyo2002 Private E-2

He has purchased a one single user windows xp cd. Since he doesn't know anything about formatting, he wants me to do it for him. All I'm asking here is if anyone has experienced any problems while trying to remove vista and install xp.

5. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

I see, you don't really want to "downgrade" in the sense of using the Vista product key for XP. Sorry.

There should be nothing to prevent you from installing your XP as a fresh copy. Boot from the XP media, format the drive and go ahead with the install.

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds