Can I get rid of Multiple versions of .NET FRamework

Discussion in 'Software' started by Poppi22, May 14, 2011.

1. Poppi22

Poppi22 Private E-2

It seems I have multiple .NET Framework versions installed. They are 1.0 Hotfix, 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 3.5, 4.0 Client profile, 4.0 extended.

Do I need all these or can I get rid of some of them?

Thanks

2. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

It all depends on what software you have, some need it but most don't need the older ones. I only have 2 versions of 4.0, Client profile and Extended. If you delete everything else then if some software needs it then you can always reload it. I'm running Windows 7. BTW, it's a programming tool used to create software.

3. Poppi22

Poppi22 Private E-2

Thanks for the quick reply...I don't create software, I just use standard stuff like any dumb websurfer/ MSWord/Excel/Powerpoint user. Does that mean I can get rid of all of it, that I never needed it on my machine to begin with?

4. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

I'm not sure about all of it, just leave the 4.0's alone as they don't take up much space. Wait for someone who really knows to answer you best.

5. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

You only find out you need it when you uninstall a version and some app on your machine won't work, or a new app won't install. I ran into this recently when unable to install CDBurnerXP to XP SP3 - turned out that .Net2 has to be present. TBH, if they aren't causing probs I would just leave well alone.

6. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

To add:

From what I've been able to determine, the .NET framework acts sort of like a "server-side" platform built into an operating system. Programmers write calls and pointers in their software that reference objects that are included in the .NET scheme - therefore, the programs are much more streamlined because they don't have to carry the weight that is already included in the host operating system's framework.

The inherent problem is, of course, that if these calls aren't answered properly by the installed .NET versions, the program won't work. If the software is well written, it will ask the OS (and by extension, the user) to supply the necessary information, which in most cases is a .NET version that is not already included. Some software installer packages even include the required .NET information in case the OS requires it.

So, I'm in agreement with both augie and Earthling - if some program requires a missing .NET version, it will most likely prompt you to supply what it needs. To prevent this from happening, however, it is perfectly safe to keep older .NET versions onboard - they will not conflict with each other.

Have a good day. ;)

7. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

I had always thought that they function in a similar manner to a RunTime Library.

http://encyclopedia2.thefreedictionary.com/run-time+library
    http://www.pcmag.com/encyclopedia_term/0,2542,t=runtime+library&i=50734,00.asp

8. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Good analogy. ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds