Can I have a router w/o a comp hooked to it?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by datboytaz, Oct 28, 2008.

1. datboytaz

datboytaz Private E-2

I am wondering if its possible to put my router on a phone jack (crappy dsl) with out a computer being there & it would still send the signal because I'm having a problem getting the signal to the other end of my house so want to put the router in the living room, but I don't have a comp in there, so is it possible? I have a trendnet tew-4528BRP 108mbs router. What if I put my comp out there for the install and recognizing of the router then unhook the comp & put back in my room, would the signal still be good? Please someone let me know asap it would be greatly appreciated.

2. bjgarrick

bjgarrick MajorGeeks Admin - Malware Expert

Yes, it's possible however you will have to connect an ethernet cable to the router. First, be sure it's configured for wireless, then move it where you want it but in order for it to send wireless internet you will need an ethernet cable from your DSL modem connected to it. You don't need a computer, just an ethernet cable.

3. datboytaz

datboytaz Private E-2

ok well I have it already configured for wireless, so I jsut need to unplug from the back of my comp, & move the modem & router to the middle of the house & hook back into the wall & should still work right? or should I move my comp in there for a minute to make sure the signal is going?

4. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

it should still work. no need to move your computer around.

5. datboytaz

datboytaz Private E-2

ok thanks for the help, I'll give it a shot

6. bjgarrick

bjgarrick MajorGeeks Admin - Malware Expert

If it's a Modem and Wireless Router in one like a Netopia then you will need the phone line going to the DSL modem and it configured for wireless.

Your desktop will either have to have a wireless card of an ethernet cable running from the modem/router in order for it to work.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds