Can I limit bandwidth to one device on my LAN?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AaronL, Mar 28, 2004.

1. AaronL

AaronL Private E-2

I have a home LAN with 2 computers and 2 gaming systems (xbox and ps2) connected to a cable modem via a D-Link DI-604 router. I would like to be able to cap the bandwidth available to the game consoles. When my roommate is gaming online, it eats up so much bandwidth that my internet connection on my computer slows to a crawl. Can I do this via software? I was hoping I could do it with the router itself, but I couldn't find anything resembling bandwidth allocation in its built-in web configuration pages.

2. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

3. Fw190

Fw190 Lt. Anti-Social

the problem that you're going to have is tat you're dealing with consoles. Something that can't have client software installed. That link is very good, but you're only opios are going to be a managed switch, or replacing your dlink router with a server and a proxy.

4. AaronL

AaronL Private E-2

I was afraid that those would be the only options. That's all a little too cost-prohibitive for me. :( Before, I was running my LAN/cable modem connection through an ethernet switch, and I KNEW there was no way to manage device bandwidth, but I was hoping that there was some way to do so using the router. I can completely deny access to one or more devices on the router based on their individual MAC addresses, but I can't seem to limit how much bandwidth each device is allowed to pull. Argh.

5. mpc458

mpc458 Private First Class

Well here's a go...just use a 10 hub out to your roomate and then use 100 switch for yourself... Not the greatest way to limit their usage but it will put a hurt on the bandwidth.

Hate when that happens.
    MPC458

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds