Can I manually combine DVD files to one DVD?

Discussion in 'Software' started by whicky1978, Dec 23, 2007.

1. whicky1978

whicky1978 Staff Sergeant

I would like to know if I can combine DVD files to one DVD by renaming the VOB files? I recorded some video on my handycam which only uses he small dvd's, and I would like to know what I need to do to combine these files and burn them to a reguar size DVD? Could I simply rename the .vob files (which use numbers) and put them in the VIDEO_TS folder and burn that folder to DVD or do some other files need to be edited?

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

You'd also need to create new IFO files. You can use IFOEdit to do this easily. If I remember correctly, IFOEdit will look at all your VOB files and create IFO files based on what it sees. But be sure to name the VOBs correctly. I don't think that simply renumbering them will work unless you want one seamless video from start to finish. Here's a link to IFOEdit (it's free): http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd-r_tools/ifoedit.cfm For more info about what you need to do, you should probably look thru the forums at AfterDawn; they're my number one resource for all things DVD related. You may want to think about ripping the DVD's to individual AVI files, then join the AVI's and convert it back to DVD as one disc, and burn it.... Idunno :confused There's a few ways to go with this.

3. whicky1978

I believe the individual .vob files are numbered because they represent different chapters on the DVD. Each time I stopped and restarted recording, a new .vob file was recreated.

4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

That makes sense for a DVD created by a Handycam.... I was thinking in terms of a regular movie DVD. I guess you could just number the VOBs sequentially and put them all in the VIDEO_TS folder. A home DVD player will have problems if you try to playback a DVD without IFO and BUP files to go with the VOBs. Use the link above to download IFOEdit. It will create the IFO and BUP files needed and will put them in your VIDEO_TS folder. Be sure to create an empty AUDIO_TS folder to burn with your VIDEO_TS folder..... when you successfully complete this project, if you could post exactly what you did, I'd appreciate it. I'm always interested in learning something new about burning/creating/customizing DVD video....
    :wine Happy Holidays! :dancer

5. whicky1978

The DVD kinda worked. One of the chapters though did not have any sound, and the video quality was not what it should have been. It automatically played and would not go to a menu.

The good news is that I figured out that I have sony software installed on my pc that will put the videos into one folder and allow me to place them on a DVD.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds