Can I sell a used XP CD? By deactivating it?

Discussion in 'Software' started by whicky1978, Feb 4, 2006.

1. whicky1978

whicky1978 Staff Sergeant

I have an old laptop, and it's pretty much shot, so I am going to sell any valuable parts it has. Is it possible to sell Your version of Windows XP once it has been installed and activated? I know it keeps of with hardware changes so you can't intall it more than once.

2. whicky1978

I just read that you can't do this with an OEM. Is this true?

3. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

Yes it is.

Read the ELUA (licence agreement), that will tell you.

4. whicky1978

Where will I find it? on the CD?

5. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

Is it an OEM, as in a no frills retail version?

Or OEM, as in Dell, Gateway, IBM etc?

If it's an OEM, but same as retail, then you would have to contact Micro$$oft if it's been activated.

If it's an OEM manufacturer, then the only way I'm aware of is if it's sold with the PC, as it's "tied to the hardware".

Standard EULA.

6. whicky1978

It's an OEM as in I bought it from an eBay seller for $90. It did not come with the thick book or anything extra. I'm thinking it's not resellible. I installed it on two thinkpads that were quite different, and it recognized it and it would not work.

7. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

Sounds like an OEM for a manufacturer specific computer.:) Hope that you can get your money back.:) :) :)

8. whicky1978

Yeah, I've had this CD for a couple of years. But it looks like now it's only good for a coaster.

I could find somebody who has a computer exactly like my old one, and sell it to them? If the EULA allowed it, right?

9. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

What does it say on the CD? DELL? Gateway? If it doesn't say any manufacturer then it may be a generic OEM which should be able to install on anything that supports XP.

You said in your first post that it had been activated. You didn't say if it was registered. Activated and registered are two different things. If it hasn't been registered it could in fact be reactivated on a new machine. If it was registered they may require proof of ownership.

10. whicky1978

It's a generic OEM I bought from eBay. It has been registered and activated.

11. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

Having been registered it would have little value. The CD itself is worth a little but the COA number would have no value to anyone but you. You should be able to install it on anything you own as long as the COA number is only active on one machine at a time.

12. whicky1978

What is the COA? So I could de-activate it, and put it on another machine?

13. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

The COA is the colorful sticker with the registration code on it. (5 sets of 5 characters). It doesn't have to be deactivated just reassigned to the new computer.

14. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

You can under these conditions. Also, the Windows XP CD is never activated. The finished Windows XP operating system installation on the computer's hard drives is activated.

15. whicky1978

So, I can sell it? What do I need to do then, exactly, so it will work on the seller's computer? I can format the harddrive it's on. Do I have to de-activate it? Change the registration?

16. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

Selling it would be a one-time permanent transfer. Just follow the EULA's instructions. As long as the person you transfer it to has the 25 digit product key and an installation disc, it will work.

17. whicky1978

That's not true, because I tried intsalling on another laptop I had one time, and it would not activate. The OS recognized that I had changed laptops.

18. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

That is why I responded as I did earlier in the thread! It seems to be a manufacturer specific XP CD. :)

19. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

It's in the Microsoft EULA. Go argue with Bill Gates. If you tried to use a manufacturer's restore disc such as those supplied by Dell then, those are tied to the hardware and can't be installed in a different computer. It has nothing to do with Microsoft. The Microsoft EULA only applies to the Windows OS and the official Microsoft installation discs. In the event it was an official Microsoft installation disc, you may have merely been required to call Microsoft support to go through the over-the-phone activation due to the hardware change. I had to do it myself recently when I replaced my mobo, CPU and GFX card and reinstalled.

20. whicky1978

When I did that, I had it on more than one computer. And both laptops were nearly identical. Thinkpad 600 vs 600x. The difference was the motherboard, CPU, Hard drive and so forth.

Or do you mean something different by manufactorer specific? . . . Oh wait, I just found the booklets.

It says for "distrubution only with a new pc" on both booklets. My pc was used though. This means that it's computer specific right? I think the COA is on the CD itself.

21. whicky1978

Both my XP CD's are OEM's. I paid $90 for each of them.

22. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

If both your XP CD's are OEM with a COA then you shouldn't have any problem selling them. The legalities Just Playin covered!:)

23. whicky1978

I've read the EULA, but it doesn't tell me how to transfer my license.

24. whicky1978

I contacted Microsoft, and they tell me you can't transfer an OEM, all OEM's are that way.

25. whicky1978

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds