Can I send a fax using my cell phone and my laptop?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by whicky1978, Jun 6, 2006.

1. whicky1978

whicky1978 Staff Sergeant

I can access the internet through Verizon using my cell phone and laptop. Is it possible for me to send faxes this way? I tried to configure my fax software so it would use the audiovox modem, but it would not list it as an option. :confused:

I have Windows XP (home), an Audiovox CDM-8910 cell phone, and Mobile Action software and MA-Cable accessory.

Any insight would help.

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

You can install the fax component by going to add/remove programs ....add/remove components and check fax viewer ....that should let you fax just like sending e-mails off the laptop.

3. whicky1978

Yeah, I think I've installed that, but it will only let me select phone modems, not my usb modem.

4. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Not real familiar with usb modem configurations ..but should have options to select which device to use ....so, your trying to send through your cell phone ...right? ....not thru a wifi or ethernet card?

5. whicky1978

Yes, I'm trying to find a way to use my cell phone, and not the regular phone modem that I have. I have no ground line anymore. Just my cell phone. I can use my cell phone to get onto the internet--it dials a number for that. So why not a fax?

I think I may email Verizon and/or Mobile Action to see if this is possible. I found a website that is experimenting with text messages and pictures to send faxes. You take a picture (1.3 mega pixels only?) and you send it to a computer along with the fax number.

FaxZero lets you send faxes for free via the internet, but it has ads. You have the option to pay $1.79-- not bad. Although, I would want to preview the ads before they were sent, and I don't know if that is an option.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds