Can I set up a dual disk install routine?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Port-O-San, Dec 30, 2007.

1. Port-O-San

Port-O-San Corporal

I "restore" alot of older computers for donation to folks who wouldn't normally be able to afford one at all.;)
    Am wanting to set up like this: An ISO on CD for the OS (have done that fine) and a request prompt for insertion of a second disk for install of programs. Reason being, the first disk is full and the second will be, too = and the relics I work on do not have DVD drives.
    I'm trying to get away from what I've been doing = physically removing the hard drives, hooking them to my own computer, and working that way = too much work, and I don't like to have my own machine half apart all the time.
    I use Nlite now, but could learn another routine if need be.
    Can you help?
    Blessings,
    Port-O-San

2. Port-O-San

Port-O-San Corporal

I guess what I am looking for is a way to make the programs disk "unattended", same as my OS install disks. Was thinking that there must be a way to make the system request the second disk and behave as if it were merely a continuation of the install.
    Re-read this twice and it seems more clear to me - hope it's clearer to others?
    Am appreciative of your help, sabrenx!
    Blessings,
    Port-O-San

3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Seems to me you'd need to tag a batch file (or something similar) onto the end of the OS CD that puts up an on screen prompt that says "Insert programs disc now. Press Enter when ready..." and your programs CD would also have to have some files on it that starts the installation of one program when the previous program's install is done. One possible issue is that some apps request/require a reboot after installation. Another possible roadblock is how would you edit your OS disc to start the first batch file, unless you change the beginning of the OS disc so it "knows" that after the OS install has completed, it's time to ask for the programs disc.... this is basic theory anyway, and I have no idea how to write the actual files you'd need, but it is a great idea.... an autoloading programs CD with stuff like AVG, Acrobat Reader, a "zip" type program, maybe FireFox or another alternative browser, etc., would be very handy when performing many PC installs and a real time saver as you could do other things while the programs install themselves instead of having to sit at each PC waiting for one install to end so you can start the next.... please post if you eventually figure this out. I'd be intersted, I can tell you that right now! ;)
    Good luck!
    and Happy New Year! :wine :foolish

4. Port-O-San

Port-O-San Corporal

At this point, I'm fighting the worst flu I've had in years and am not up to par in the mental agility arena - so it'll be awhile. Plus, this is a project that is out of my depth, but I've had quite a few of those lately and am feeling like it's something I could learn to do if someone would but teach.
    I know there's a programmer here, somewhere who could do this with minimal effort and a few keystrokes - and I'm just hoping to reach that individual = because, while I love to learn, I can't afford college - so I come to M.G.'s and read for hours on end.

5. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

What OS are we working with here?

I setup a custom Windows XP that was unattended, and even installed third party apps during the installation.

6. Port-O-San

Port-O-San Corporal

We're working with WinXP (and sometimes2000). Reason I want to use a second disk is because the OS takes almost all of the first CD and because I want to be able to make a series of software packages, different for different user types.
    The idea being an unattended install other than a few keystrokes and a disk change, leaving me free to pursue happiness whilst "doing" for those less fortunate.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds